Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #11

That looks like factory air. The rear air only has an orifice tube, rather than an expansion valve. It is connected to the rear evaporator. It can plug up from debris. In my case, sloppy body shop didn't cap the lines while they were open, and it plugged with bondo and primer dust. It can also plug with debris if the compressor went out. It's only a $10 part or so, but does require doing a full evac and recharge. This is pretty much the only place where you could have a restriction. The rear factory a/c simply tees off the front.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #12

OP states: . "I already removed the rear flow door and repaired it so the previously hot air from the floor now switches to the overhead vents."

This is perplexing to me since, for OEM rear HVAC - hot air NEVER comes out of the overhead vents and cold air NEVER comes out of the floor vents. If heat is selected it comes out the floor max heat - no temp adjustment possible, if vent or AC is selected it comes out of the overheads max cold - no temp adjust possible. Rear flow via fan speed is adjustable.

So, if heated air is coming Out of the overheads, something is backwards which maybe the problem???
Old 07-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I'm not sure where it is as I haven't worked on a rear unit, but it's likely attached to the evaporator coil. It looks like this.......
I’ve not been able to find a single picture on the internet of this valve installed. It looks like I can gain access fairly easy since all of the interior panels are already off. I’ll dig in. I’m pretty mechanically smart, but AC systems I leave to the pros. I’ll update in a week or two on the outcome.
WeatherManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
OP states: . "I already removed the rear flow door and repaired it so the previously hot air from the floor now switches to the overhead vents."

This is perplexing to me since, for OEM rear HVAC - hot air NEVER comes out of the overhead vents and cold air NEVER comes out of the floor vents. If heat is selected it comes out the floor max heat - no temp adjustment possible, if vent or AC is selected it comes out of the overheads max cold - no temp adjust possible. Rear flow via fan speed is adjustable.

So, if heated air is coming Out of the overheads, something is backwards which maybe the problem???
From my first post:
I have ambient temp air blowing out of the roof vents, but cold air coming out of the front dashboard vents.

I was more or less saying the blend door was fixed first, so that no one suggested to fix the blend door. Current status: hot air from floor vents, switch to overhead and get ambient air from roof vents.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #15

Blend door fix
Attached Thumbnails
FBED0928-EA96-4619-B33E-B7AE14F35880.jpg  
Old 07-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #16

Ahhh. - okay- Thxs for setting my mind at ease!
Old 07-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #17

The orifice tube is inside the hard line going to the evaporator. Turns out you can by them for as little as $3. But I still suggest taking it into a shop, because you can't draw proper system vacuum at home. It won't ever work right if you just start adding cans of freon.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The orifice tube is inside the hard line going to the evaporator. Turns out you can by them for as little as $3. But I still suggest taking it into a shop, because you can't draw proper system vacuum at home. It won't ever work right if you just start adding cans of freon.

I agree! I am just trying to self diagnose as much as I can before taking it in, so I can be on the shop’s level of terminology.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #19

Thanks for all this, I also have an E350 XLT wheelchair van with factory air. I'll bookmark this in case I have a problem in the future.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
QUOTE=carringb;277991]That looks like factory air. The rear air only has an orifice tube, rather than an expansion valve. It is connected to the rear evaporator. It can plug up from debris. In my case, sloppy body shop didn't cap the lines while they were open, and it plugged with bondo and primer dust. It can also plug with debris if the compressor went out. It's only a $10 part or so, but does require doing a full evac and recharge. This is pretty much the only place where you could have a restriction. The rear factory a/c simply tees off the front.[/QUOTE]

That is indeed factory A/C---are there any rear headliner function controls on this van? They would be in the headliner between the front seats and the second row bench or bucket seats.

My 2005 E350 EB had a TXV, the FOT only on the front evaporator only. I believe on the factory A/C systems those are pretty much required to adequately cool the rear area. That could have failed and blocking refrigerant flow. Sadly its installed on the evaporator inside the rear heater & A/C housing. According to my Ford parts guy the TXV is part of the evaporator and not sold separately through them.
Dealer cost to me on the complete evaporator w/TXV would be $263.89, part number 6C2Z-19860-B.
They do seem to be available in aftermarket sources though.

Here's a Ford drawing showing a 2006 E-Series with factory air:

That drawing is captioned at the top as used on a 2006 E-Series with factory rear A/C.
The exact drawing for the OP's particular van can be found using the VIN and perhaps contacting a local Ford dealer.

Dealer cost to me on the complete evaporator w/TXV would be $263.89, part number 6C2Z-19860-B.
The TXV by itself do seem to be available in aftermarket sources though. Four Seasons brand through almost any parts retailer.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac refrigerant hot air