Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #1

Exclamation Rear AC not cold

Hi folks. I have a 2006 E-350 XLT and am working through the basic problems. I already removed the rear flow door and repaired it so the previously hot air from the floor now switches to the overhead vents.

Why isn’t refrigerant making it to the rear ac?

I have ambient temp air blowing out of the roof vents, but cold air coming out of the front dashboard vents. The AC lines under the hood are ice cold, and the compressor clutch stays engaged.

I’ve ordered the vacuum repair kit for the “WOT defrost vent switch” problem.

My own diagnosis is that AC refrigerant is not making it to the rear fan. The two metal lines on the rear of the assembly are not cold. The heater core lines are hot.

I’ve made it that far, so I ask...why not? How do I fix this? Why isn’t refrigerant making it to the rear ac?

WeatherManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

What type of system do you have? Starcool? if so, there is a solenoid valve that isolates refrigerant to just the front factory A/C when running on shore power. It could be stuck if you have that system.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
What type of system do you have? Starcool? if so, there is a solenoid valve that isolates refrigerant to just the front factory A/C when running on shore power. It could be stuck if you have that system.
Honestly I don’t know. The van was formerly a handicap transport van with lift. I have the interior disassembled in the rear of there is somewhere to look.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Can you show a pic of the AC controls, both front and rear (assuming they have unique controls).

Herb
Old 07-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Can you show a pic of the AC controls, both front and rear (assuming they have unique controls).

Herb
https://www.jhillgalleries.com/Other...E-350/n-QtGqKP

There is only one set of HVAC controls locate on the main dash. There are no controls in the rear. I added the aftermarket radio (there were no other HVAC controls).

The photo From the back doors of me pointing is the lines I would expect to be cold but are not.

(You’ll have to scroll to the bottom)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #6

Your link to pics is not formed correctly. And when I manually removed the offending text, the gallery was password protected.

Sounds like you have the factory rear A/C.

Got no specific info to help with your problem other than fixing your link to pix.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Your link to pics is not formed correctly. And when I manually removed the offending text, the gallery was password protected.

Sounds like you have the factory rear A/C.

Got no specific info to help with your problem other than fixing your link to pix.
Try this one:
https://www.jhillgalleries.com/Other...E-350/n-QtGqKP
Old 07-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #8

Yes, it sounds like you have the factory air. Is there a fan switch in the rear overhead? Is it on? First I'd check the refrigerant pressures as I suppose it's possible there isn't enough to reach to the back of the van, but since the front is working fine, I would suspect there is a thermostatic expansion valve in the rear that controls refrigerant flow through the rear evaporator. If there is an expansion valve, you might give it at tap with the handle of a screwdriver of some other softer tool.
Advanced 4wd
Old 07-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #9

The rear fan comes on and the door shifts the blowing air to the overhead. Where exactly is the TXV on the rear air?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #10

I'm not sure where it is as I haven't worked on a rear unit, but it's likely attached to the evaporator coil. It looks like this.......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1166.jpg  
Advanced 4wd

Tags
ac refrigerant hot air