Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #11

Re: Rear Air Conditioner + Portable Generator

another option from Indel B, this is a new portable unit that runs off of 24 volts, they are making a 12 volt version. They also have some roof top and other options similar to the Sportsmobile Danhard option.

http://www.indelb.com/products/truck...g_well/sw_cube

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
another option from Indel B, this is a new portable unit that runs off of 24 volts, they are making a 12 volt version. They also have some roof top and other options similar to the Sportsmobile Danhard option.

http://www.indelb.com/products/truck...g_well/sw_cube
Now that is an interesting looking option. I'm a big fan of "if it doesn't have to be built in, don't build it in".

A quick browse and I wasn't able to find pricing though.
mpfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #13

I have used the engine for rear cooling. I do have remote start with a timer, which is great for warming up the van before bed, but for cooling it pretty much needs to just stay running. I make sure the front A/C is NOT set to max as this will ensure fresh air maintains positive pressure in the van. I have only needed to do this occasionally though, and if I needed regular A/C I would probably figure something else out. The V10 uses 0.7 GPH when idling with a moderate load. With both front and rear blowers on high it climbs to 0.8 GPH.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #14

that van would be perfect for a swamp cooler. No windows mean less heat getting in the van. I have an astrovan and the windows was where all the heat was coming through but I covered all the rear side and rear door windows with 1.5 inch thick foam, then I added 1/4 inch foam everywhere else in the back including the roof, my method I use was run my hand through the inside of the van and find all the hot spots and put foam there. I also seperated the front driving compartment from the rear with a foam partition and sliding foam door. Just with the foam there is a major temp difference from the front and back, it can be 120 degrees in the front and less than 100 degrees in the back.

Next I built my own swamp cooler (based on the burningman version but modified for use in moving vehicule). I cut a small 6 inch round hole on the rear side of van to feed the swampcooler with outside air. You dont need to open windows or vents, its actually best to keep everything close to keep outside hot air from going inside. With swamp cooler running my temperature rarely goes above 85 degrees in the hottest part of the day, usually in the 70's on cooler days and at night.
Energy comsumption is 1.5 amps an hour and I run it all day with the 240 watt solar panel on my roof. It keeps me cool, but on hot humid days, its when I see temperatures in the 80's from the swamp cooler. On low humidty days you get temperatures in the 70's even with the hot sun baking the exterior of the van.

But swamp cooler will only work if your van is extremely well insulated, that right there is the secret. But it's easy to do and the foam (rtech brand) is cheap at home depot 4X8 foot cost about 7.00 and use gorilla duct tape to install it. Insulate everything, this will also help keep the van warm in the winter.

It's a cheap way to stay cool and here in california (poway area) the sun is always out and humidity can get into the 60's not the best conditions but it works. And it would definitely keep you cool at night for minimal energy. I also consider Rear AC at one time and cut 3 different roof vents on roof but swamp cooler works fine so far. I got the idea to use a swamp cooler from seeing people use them when camping in the desert.
jony101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #15

Turns out there are a bunch of 12 and 24 volt AC units available, designed to allow trucks to stay cool without having to idle. Not sure how expensive but they seem to be pretty low draw for an AC.

http://www.csswebform.org/webform/suppl ... .aspx#BACs
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #16

One of the main reasons I turned to SM was to access a shore powered A/C unit in the form fit and function of an E series van. I investigated all the options including the Heathkit arrangements of external a/c (huge inefficiencies) and rewiring the van (Ford) rear a/c install which I had because mine is a 14 pax conversion. Bottom line is the roof mounted version is the best bang for the buck and the most effective followed by the Danhard which replaced the Starcool. Power required is a 2000W Inverter plus an Eu2000i or equivalent generator with some caveats. Firstly the noise (particularly at night) which only imposes when the A/C is running and the gennie has to operate at nearly 100% power to handle the draw. I get around this by putting the generator in my trailer (locked) and feed the cable through a port to the SM. The noise is barely audible even at full rpm. You could construct an insulated box that you carry in your boat that would do the same job. Secondly you need a remote fuel supply as the standard tank will not last through the night. Plenty available and they work well.

However there is another problem: the inverter is needed to absorb the start cycle of the a/c compressor and the draw it makes on the AGM 4D or 8D battery is so significant that given Texas summer usage, I do not get more than 2 seasons from the battery. And when the battery fails you are SOL because there is no other way to start the A/C except...travel with 2 Honda generators set up in parallel which since the produce 30 amps are powerful enough to start the A/C without the inverter. I have recently started setting the thermostat in the van so that once the a/c come on, I never let it cycle off until I do not need it. So at night I would set the t'stat at 72 deg so that it stays on until that temperature is reached and after that I am hoping that the external temperature has dropped enough that I do not need it kick on again. And yes it runs the rest of the night at idle charging the batteries/running the fridge but it uses less than 0.5 gallons for 6 hours.

BTW the A/C is pretty noisy too and I sleep with ear plugs.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

From what I've found it seems realistic.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #18

Resurrecting thread:

Put a ClimateAire (or equivalent) in a rear bumper box,
vent appropriately w louvers,
run the output and return outlets through rear of box w caps when not used and connection fittings in use,
put appropriate holes in corresponding rear door w caps and weather seals.

To use, connect the box outlets to the outside door w short and connect longer hoses to inside.
The return hose should be short and head up to the ceiling near the rear door,
pipe the supply hose as far as possible toward the front.
The push of the supply air will flow through the canto the suck hose at the rear, creating a decent air exchange.
I believe these units offer a remote control panel that could be added near the bed.

During seasons or trips when A/C will absolutely, positively not be needed, leave the unit at home and use the bumper box for carrying gold down from your mine.

SO, tell me what's wrong with this picture.

JC
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #19

I tried that before I d id my SMB conversion. Problems were multi fold: Clumsy install with pipes getting in the way and a not much cooling; the generator could not handle the start up of the a/c compressor. It seems that despite claims to the contrary, the Honda generators do not always produce the same output at max rpm. There was enough variance that I had to run 2 generators in parallel and there was no room on the rear bumper storage shelf for the additional generator and the a/c and I did not want it sitting in the cabin to fly around in the event of an accident.

But as a MacGiver work around it was cool.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #20

I went with a 5000 BTU/HR window unit mounted inside on my homebuilt and it works quite well to keep van cool at night. It took a little more work to vent it through floor in order to make it invisible from outside but it didn't cost any more. Overall it was inexpensive.

We are on road trip as I write this and for the first 6 or 7 nights we used it to stay cool at campgrounds. Now we are using heat at night. Anyway, with its small AC compressor the lock-rotor amps are low enough to handle with small generator. In theory a 2000 watt inverter with a 4000 watt surge rating should also be able to start it since LRA are around 23 to 26 -- can't quite remember exact number. A 2000 watt generator should also be able to start a 5000 BTU/HR air conditioner.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote