Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #1

Rear Closet Questions

Hi all,
I'm working on designing my first SMB and was wondering if someone can tell me about the rear closet on the "50" layout. How usable is it and how many shirts, etc., can you fit in there? From the plans, it looks to be about 24"W x 15"D, but appears that you lose some of the depth due to the curve of the van wall. I'm debating between this or a Closet B which takes up alot more precious interior space.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #2

Garage
My '50' closet works well for me. I often go solo or with a friend. I only need a jacket or two and a couple of shirts, so I have room on the closet floor for my laptop and other stuff.

It all depends on your party and your clothing preferences.

I have lots of photography equipment with me, and the closet is a great place to store large camera bags and backpacks that are packed.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #3

We only use the closet with hanging stuff when we have to carry "good" clothes. I added some removable brackets and other stuff and we keep the Coleman hot water heater in there and some other things most of the time. Stuff we don't need all the time. I like the size of it cause it doesn't infringe on the main open space behind the rear seat

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #4

For me the closet was extremely inefficient. I built two shelves and now like it much better.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #5

Our RB50 came with one closet with shelves, and one closet with a closet rod to hang hangers on. On our first trip, we decided that we did not need the hanging stuff, so I built two shelves to match the other one. It has worked out fine. If I were to order a new one, I would order both closets with the shelves. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #6

My van has the rod in the back closet, but when I hang shirts there, the space isn't long enough to let them hang fully. Everything ends up wrinkled below the waist. I'm going to have Austin change it to shelves next time I'm there.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #7

We had them put two removable shelves in the cabinet since we figured we wouldn't use it for formal clothes much. This has been quite useful since it is the easiest to access from the back.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #8

I have shelves in mine and it works great for folded clothes. The rod really doesn't work unless you have tiny items to hang on hangars (not shirts or pants).

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #9

Mine is like Steve's, although the bottom pulls out for access to the space below. I just leave the bottom out and stuff hangs fine. I've probably crammed 8-10 shirts and a jacket in there. Since it is more narrow at the top, you're really limited by how many hangers you can get on the bar (well I guess if you're using the 1/4" plastic ones like me) unless you're doing all winter coats, the max of which I'd say is 4-5.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #10

I never have clothes that need hanging, so I've been meaning to build proper shelves in there, too. Currently I have a metal insert with legs that provides one extra shelf. The bottom trap door collapsed when I piled books onto it (and then drove bumpy trails), so I had to reinforce it -- it was only screwed into the thin trim wood.

-- Geoff