Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

Rear Shower Valves

We have an '07 with the RB 50 floor plan. It's got the built-in shower in the rear. I just used that shower for the first time (we usually use the Coleman shower/water heater) and I noticed that the water comes out of the shower head when the lever is pushed whether or not the hot and/or cold valves are on. A lot more water comes out with the valves open, but enough comes out with them closed to take a shower.
Thot I'd ask if anyone else has noticed that and if it's normal before I tear into the valves. Can't imagine that they don't shut off the water, but thot I'd check. I don't like the shower head being "hot" all the time. Could make a real mess back there.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #2

Ours doesn't leak. There is a just few drops of water that come out of the valve when I disconnect the hose.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #3

We have the exact same behavior that Charlie mentioned. No leaks at all while running the shower, just a small bit of water that escapes when disconnecting the shower extension.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #4

I think the 2008 version has a different shower attachment. Like R Hogan, mine (a 2008) doesn't leak a bit. Like a shower knob, it goes from Off- Cold- Hot on a continuum. In fact. it works so nicely, we use it to shower, fill hot water for cooking, dishes etc. It is easy to use and doesn't waste water. Of course, you can't alter the water pressure.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #5

Mine is the older two valve version and the shower wand does not disconnect. You just pop the wand out of it's holder and pull it out. The hose is just looped in the cabinet the whole thing is fastened to. But, that really doesn't make any difference. No point in having valves if they don't shut off the water.
Well, one more project I don't need. I guess you'll see a post in the What Did I Do To My SMB Today area....
Thanks guys

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #6

I recently had a similar problem but it wasn't just a "little" water. It was as if the valves were left full-on.

I talked to Peter about it and he said that the o-rings or something in the on/off valves can degrade or something and I got a new rear assembly and now it works fine. The removal/installation was about 15 mins and easy.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #7

Well, I decided to tear into the problem. Pretty easy access, just unscrew the fittings on the back of the shower valve setup, remove the six screws from the front and the whole mess is in your hands.

Ya gotta be careful here if you want to be able to put the sticker back on again.

Then the valve stem just pushes thru from the front.
The valve "washer" is just a short piece of rubber tubing as can be seen in this shot.

Pretty mickey mouse setup, and I can see why SMB changed over to the new one handle design. I hope it's valve is better. Anyway, my problem was a slice in the rubber tube right where it seats (if you could call it that) against the incoming water orifice. I didn't have any tube to replace the offending one, so I just rotated it 180 degrees so the hole was on the back side and it seems to be working fine. I've asked Peter at SMB to find me some info on replacement parts. We'll see if he can find any.
So, bottom line is, no more shower leak!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #8

Belated pics of the newer showers used at SMB

Finally getting around to posting some pics.

As discussed above, these shower units are easy to use and drip a minimal amount.
This is turning out to be one of our favorite features.

You dial the temp and then use the trigger on the hand unit.

As stated in another post by another contributer, this is the mfg link
http://www.sagiv.com/main.asp?sel_nav1=88&cat=site
In that post they discuss replacing the older unit with the newer.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #9

Hey, does anybody have experience with removing the "older model" shower assembly and installing the newer version? From what I can tell the newer shower assembly is superior and I would consider tackling it but only if someone else hasn't exposed some issues with it.

Obviously the fittings are different and the holes are different, I'm just wondering if anyone's tackled it.

The post above mentions that someone has tried it but I did a search and came up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #10

I have an '08 with the new shower, but I did install a tempering valve right next to the shower valve. SMB now uses PEX pipe and fittings which are real easy to work with if you have the tool. The crimping tool is a long lever so it made it necessary to to disassemble the cabinet (long side panel) to get easy access to the piping. Taking the panel off wasn't a big deal. Figure on it being a half day job.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote