Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #11

Re: Recommended Fridges/Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
One more thing: If your batteries and controller are mounted inside you don't really need a temp sensor for the batteries, since they are both at roughly the same temp. If the controller is inside and the Batts are outside a temperature sensor stuck on a battery and connected to the controller will be easier on the batteries at some temperature extremes. the temp sensors are usually an optional accessory when you buy the controller.
I think you want to check that with what ever controller you purchase, I believe that most of the chargers that I have seen with a remote sensor option just default to 25°C (77°F) for their charging set points, if the remote battery temp sensor is not installed.

-greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

I got to thinking that one could put a top load fridge on some drawer type thingies and slide the unit in and out of a cabinet to access the top. Ya think?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn
I got to thinking that one could put a top load fridge on some drawer type thingies and slide the unit in and out of a cabinet to access the top. Ya think?
Here's the fridge slide I have in my teardrop.

http://www.socalteardrops.com/options.php?cid=8&oid=76

Herb
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn
Sure, build a deep drawer with beefy drawer slides and add extra insulation around the fridge......you just need to allow the condenser to vent.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

Now I have to think house batteries! Still need to know how to do my set up. I want deep cycle and have been told to get 2 6V golf cart batteries. I want solar panel(s) on the roof. This van will be a daily driver for me. Also only d/c and will use small inverter I'd need an AC outlet. Only need to power the TF65, lighting, charging electronics such as iPad and iPhones. Also need to choose solar charger, isolator, and battery monitor. So many different opinions out there that it's slowing me down.
My rig is DC only with solar and no inverter. Just changed from a single group 24 house battery to a single group 27 standard deep cycle RV battery not AGM. The house battery is in the engine compartment so space is limited. The G24 failed after five years of use. Had no problem with the G24 running the fridge, LED lights, charging my phone, and running the Suburban heater all through the night without dropping below 50%. The solar starts recharging the battery as soon as the sun was up.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #16

I just bought a Truckfridge from this guy.

http://westyventures.com/parts.html

Given the free shipping, he seems to offer a better deal than the factory.
zardac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77

I think you want to check that with what ever controller you purchase, I believe that most of the chargers that I have seen with a remote sensor option just default to 25°C (77°F) for their charging set points, if the remote battery temp sensor is not installed.

-greg
Thanks Greg, I just checked the manual, and this is indeed true. The temperature compensation using a sensor is -30mv/deg C which can be significant if your van goes from freezing to the desert (delta 40 deg C). I'm thinking about buying the temp sensor now.....

Also, Ray (1der) PM'd me about the allowable panel voltage for a typical 12V PWM controller. It appears that the Samlex can use up to a max 50V panel input. I didn't realize that panels rated for more than 12V (typical RV type 17Voc) could be used without issue, as long as the open circuit voltage in "direct sun+clouds" condition does not exceed 50V. That gives lots more options when shopping for a panel(s).
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

FWIW, A lot of us use the Kyocera 135 panel, I just installed a blue sky sun charger 30, many go with the upgraded solar boost 2000
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder

Also, Ray (1der) PM'd me about the allowable panel voltage for a typical 12V PWM controller. It appears that the Samlex can use up to a max 50V panel input. I didn't realize that panels rated for more than 12V (typical RV type 17Voc) could be used without issue, as long as the open circuit voltage in "direct sun+clouds" condition does not exceed 50V. That gives lots more options when shopping for a panel(s).
Not to turn this into a Solar thread, but it is the Vmpp voltage that we need to be critical of, and a higher Voc usually means a higher Vmpp. A higher Vmpp goes wasted on a 12V PWM controller.

325 watt panel Voc =49.7 Vmpp= 40.3, Imp= 8.07 Watts = 325 . The usable watts on a PWM controller best case will be Output voltage * Imp of 8.07, so let's say 13.5 * 8.07 or 108 Watts

140 watt panel Voc =22.1, Vmpp= 17.7, Imp =7.91 Watts =140, The usable watts on a PWM controller best case will be Output voltage * Imp of 7.91, so let's say 13.5 * 7.91 or 106 Watts.

This is why we need the MPPT controller to take advantage of the extra voltage available on those panels. So a PWM controller may accept panels with higher Vmpp, it won't take advantage of them.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote