Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #11

Ambient temperature has a huge effect on the duty cycle, and since you live in Hawaii, I assume it's much hotter there than many other places. Never the less, I 'd make sure the condenser coils are clean and there are no obstructions to air flow around it. I even went so far as to add insulation and a computer fan that runs anytime the compressor is on, and it seemed to reduce running time. As mentioned, a starting battery is rated in CCA, but a 4d should put out plenty of amp hours, they just don't like to be deep cycled. Rather than SOC, (which can require meter calibration), it would be interesting to know what your starting and ending voltage is. Anyway, I have a 220Ah battery bank (two golf cart's in series) and I can go at least a couple days on battery alone, but with solar it will run indefinitely.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #12

Garage
A couple of comments.

I have had my 2006 RB since 2010. I have used the microwave once, to make popcorn. I have no use for microwaves in general. So in my set-up, which sounds likes yours, my microwave serves as a cabinet for toilet paper and paper towels. It keeps the platter from bouncing around :-)

I cook with a portable propane or butane burner. Usually a single burner suffices, but on long outings (like 30 days North of the Arctic circle), a two burner is really helpful. Coleman makes several to choose from, although they are of poor reliability - I have had regulators fail ... like popcorn. I have never wanted to plumb a permanent propane system. Creating space for tanks and driving rough roads have convinced that the portable stove option works well enough. The only drawback is I wish the burner was a little lower, like at counter top height, to avoid potential fire hazard with overhanging bins, ..., etc.

I have never had problems keeping up with refrigerator draw. And my house battery is the original installed 15 years ago. I do have 250 Watts of solar panel on the penthouse. Maintaining the battery well, i.e.: avoiding deep cycling is a good design goal, and the solar cells keep the battery topped off.

I have just removed the microwave by the way. I now have a much larger bin for Toilet paper and whatever else - Hah!

2006 Sportsmobile SWB
E350 6.0l
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #13

Regarding propane refrigerators, they are nice for larger RVs and Trailer Trailers that never venture off pavement, but in my experience I’d rather have either a 2-way 110/12v fridge or a straight 12v because propane refrigerators require the vehicle be near perfectly level for the refrigerators to work properly. Many of the places I’ve boondock at in the SMB wouldn’t be level enough for a propane fridge.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedpm View Post
because propane refrigerators require the vehicle be near perfectly level for the refrigerators to work properly. Many of the places I’ve boondock at in the SMB wouldn’t be level enough for a propane fridge.
My experience with a propane unit on my liveaboard boat was that it worked just fine for 15 years, despite a large percentage of the time with the boat moving (some times violently in storms) or not level in general. Perhaps it would have been more efficient if constantly level, but it worked well. The issue was that with the flame impinging on the ammonia coils, it eventually burned through, which may not have happened if constantly level. For me though the fact that when it did fail it nearly suffocated my wife in her sleep is enough to prevent me ever using one in a mobile application again.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #15

My experience of levelness not being that important with years of occasional use in a camper is similar. I also had no problems using it while driving. The old Servel domestic refrigerators often worked fine after 50 years. I've never heard of them burning through before. Was your live aboard experience on the ocean where salt air may have contributed?
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote