Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #1

Replacing regulator in confined space

A month or so ago you all helped me diagnose a furnace issue. After pulling fixing and replacing the furnace it stopped working again when I needed it at 9800ft.
I determined that that regulator must be bad as that’s the last thing it could be and a service tech told me my regulator was bad when I had the water column pressure checked. I bought the regulator to replace myself. Trouble is, I can’t get the regulator off. So little room to work and fit tools I can’t get fittings to budge. I figured the rear line fitting was best to begin with because that would allow movement of the regulator from the fixed valve. But I actually don’t even see how I could unscrew/rotate the regulator with so little space even if I could get the rear line off which I can’t. So it appears the whole tank would need to be lowered and set off a series of other things that would need to be done to permit this. So. Any tricks or special tools that I am missing? Or is this an expensive pro service job for a otherwise simple regulator swap?
Attached Thumbnails
11BAD0D5-44EF-44A5-84C9-705DD74200CF.jpg   AE83F2FB-D6CB-491D-99A3-2E97FF708CDE.jpg   10A23D3F-F5B7-40E1-9FC6-9B3CEE827A63.jpg  

Clarkboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #2

Garage
The discharge pipe/tubing will need to come off in any case. Since it's brass and copper it shouldn't freeze due to corrosion. It just needs the exact fitting wrenches and then torque.

If the regulator is wide enough to hit the tank when unscrewing, it is possible the pipes will flex enough to unscrew it anyhow.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

What’s the discharge pipe/tubing? Is that the rearward fitting? Or something else?
Old 11-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #4

It seems to be loose (with some caulk like thread seal) at the regulator body thread (red line) but I can’t get the nut to loosen at the outer fitting to the exit line (blue circled nut)
Attached Thumbnails
8F80249D-3356-458B-93B4-10105EBD073F.jpg  
Old 11-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #5

Do you have one of these or a gas flare nut fitting wrench? They make all the difference.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...2sQvhd6BAgBEGc
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #6

Before you go too far, I suggest you visit a full-service propane shop and get an estimate. I suspect they'll have the tools and expertise to do this without dropping the tank and it might not be too expensive. Even if they have to drop the tank the cost might not be as high as one might expect. There's no downside to asking.

The worst outcome would be for you to break something by trying to DIY it.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #7

Is the hex nut in the lower right corner of the image part of the fitting that threads into the fill port? or can it spin independently of the fill port? If it can spin independently (spanner ring) you can loosen that and remove the whole assembly to work on it.......assuming there is a shut off valve beyond the fill port.

If this is confusing post another pic of the assembly from the other end/direction.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Is the hex nut in the lower right corner of the image part of the fitting that threads into the fill port? or can it spin independently of the fill port? If it can spin independently (spanner ring) you can loosen that and remove the whole assembly to work on it.......assuming there is a shut off valve beyond the fill port.

If this is confusing post another pic of the assembly from the other end/direction.
Believe you are correct on this boywonder, since none of components (regulator and the high pressure access fitting) can turn without being stopped by the proximity of the tank.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Believe you are correct on this boywonder, since none of components (regulator and the high pressure access fitting) can turn without being stopped by the proximity of the tank.
I will take a photo and post tomorrow just so I’m sure I follow. Thanks boywonder
Old 11-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #10

Thanks

Well shoot. Thanks all for the help. I found a tool I will never likely use again but it’s worth it’s weight in gold as it allowed me to grab those nuts in such a spot. It helped to give the WD40 24 hours to do its thing too.
Not sure if the new regulator will fix the furnace issues but at least that is done and I didn’t drop a pile of cash to do it. ✅
Attached Thumbnails
AE48AC9E-27D5-4A51-8317-BFC9586356F6.jpg