Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: replacing the CO detector

I like having the built in unit & a battery operated on on board. I just replaced my 2006 model and it was different in size. Easy to make a plate if the new unit is smaller than the original.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #12

Re: replacing the CO detector

My bad, boy wonder is right. My detector has hard-wired leads too. Just looked. My unit failed this summer on our XC trip, blinking the "end of life" code, which is annoying since it's only two years old and is supposed to last longer than that. Those things aren't cheap, either. I'm sure it's out of warranty though.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #13

Garage
I just replaced my original unit with a combo from safe t alert and the first night out it goes off and blinks the malfunction code. Of course this happens at 2:30am. Voltage was 11.9 and it is supposed to run til 7vdc. I spoke w customer service and shipped them the unit. They tested it and sent me a new one. Now this past week we go out again and are plugged into shore power. Guess what happens at 4:30am on our first night out? Malfunction alarm again. I can't wait for customer service to open on Monday. I sure as heck am NOT paying to ship this one back to them.

Anyone else have malfunction alarms on these things? Super frustrating! They never go off at lunchtime...
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
I just replaced my original unit with a combo from safe t alert and the first night out it goes off and blinks the malfunction code. Of course this happens at 2:30am. Voltage was 11.9 and it is supposed to run til 7vdc. I spoke w customer service and shipped them the unit. They tested it and sent me a new one. Now this past week we go out again and are plugged into shore power. Guess what happens at 4:30am on our first night out? Malfunction alarm again. I can't wait for customer service to open on Monday. I sure as heck am NOT paying to ship this one back to them.

Anyone else have malfunction alarms on these things? Super frustrating! They never go off at lunchtime...
Funny you should mention that. I just installed a brand new MTI 35-742-WT combo unit yesterday. I've got no audible alerts or red lights but the green light is constantly flashing, not steady on.

MTI Industries, Inc.

Manual download link on that page. There's nothing in the manual about a blinking green light that I could find. It should just be on all the time.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Funny you should mention that. I just installed a brand new MTI 35-742-WT combo unit yesterday. I've got no audible alerts or red lights but the green light is constantly flashing, not steady on.
That is the same unit that has been malfunctioning in my van.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
That is the same unit that has been malfunctioning in my van.
Well, that's just great news. I'm going to call them about this tomorrow morning. Nothing like dying in your sleep...but I'm not ready yet.

Who else makes these alarms? MTI can't be the only one.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:56 PM   #17

Garage
Thing about it for me is that there is no evidence of any pollution in the cabin. The alarm is going off green-red-green-red showing it is a malfunction. If it were showing LP or CO I would be worried. Mine just goes off in the middle of the night to tell you it is not working properly...

MTI is what is sold on the SMB website, though they sell one for LP, and another for CO.

Also, no one there on weekends. Wait til Monday, that is when I am calling...
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 03-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #18

I gave up on mine and pulled the fuse. Since I don't run the heater at night and have plenty of ventilation when using the stove I'm not really worried, although I do know a guy who almost killed himself with a home made wood stove in his van.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #19

Well, that's weird. Checked on mine today and the green light is steady on and no longer blinking. The manual mentions a "boot-up" period. I guess that's why it was blinking. Seems fine now.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #20

Mine is about three years old and is throwing the end of life blinking code. I think it got too dusty when driving a dirt road this summer with our pop-out rear windows open :-(
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote