Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #1

Screen Replacement On Sliding Window

What's the best way to change the screen?

I'm unable to change the screen with leaving the screen frame in the window, since the sliding glass prevents access to the rubber holding the screen in place.

Also the screen frame doesn't seem like it can be removed without removing the screws that hold the window in place.

Anyone have any tips before I start unscrewing to remove the window just to change the screen?

Romeo
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348621630.471919.jpg  

Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

Re: Screen Replacement On Sliding Window

Second had info is that the windows just "pop" out, meaning unscrewing the window trim to remove it to get to the screen should be fairly easy.

Haven't done it myself.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

That window looks similar to the ones on my SMB. On mine the screen-plus-screen-frame can be popped out from the interior of the van. I'm not in the van right now, but as I remember it there is a sort of spring arm on one of the long edges (top or bottom) (I think it was top), so you basically push the screen frame further up into the track (compressing the spring arm) and then the bottom edge pops out, after which the rest follows along.

The screening material is held into the frame on mine with the typical "screen rope." (I forget what you call it, but it's like a long worm that goes into a corresponding slot in the perimeter of the frame, with the screening trapped in between the two - a common way to hold screens into storm windows, etc.)

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Sounds like a plan. Thought there was another way, but looks like that's the only way.
Will do, thanks for the message!

Romeo
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

Just to clarify, when I said "popped out from the interior of the van," I meant that you remove the screen panel from the interior, and that it removes into the interior (does not "pop out" toward the outside of van in case my choice of words made it sound like that). At least on mine.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
the typical "screen rope." (I forget what you call it
Viva
Hi;

It's called a spline. Grab a screen roller to ease installation. Wooden handle with a narrow metal roller at the tip. It's a lot easier than using a screwdriver.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

Just a note, as I went to replace one of my screens the other day. When I was at the hardware store I saw the supplies, so decided to grab them while I was there. I guessed on the spline, and just got the smallest size they had (of the round, ribbed, grey typical stuff). It was 1/8" (only about a buck, so worth the risk).

As it turns out (which I had seen before but forgotten), the van screen-window frame on my SMB doesn't use that type of profile (round, hollow worm) like house windows do, but instead uses a black spline that is sort of V-shaped. I imagine it's common to RV's and such. (I haven't looked because my spline is re-usable; I was just getting some new stuff on principle.)

Viva

PS: Reason I'm replacing the screen is that the original owners had replaced the "normal" screen with no-see-um netting. That works great if you have a lot of no-see-ums, but on the other hand it doesn't let nearly as much air through (it's much finer mesh). I'd rather have the air flow and fight no-see-ums with a fan if I have to (at least unless I start to frequent no-see-um heavy locations).

PPS: The spring levers were on the top of the screen frame. So on my windows you sit inside the van and push up on the screen/frame, it goes further into the frame, and then you can start to pull it out along the bottom edge. "Reinstallation the reverse of removal," as they say.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the tips! I've yet to change out. Still rolling around with a flapping screen, but will sometime soon.

Romeo
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #9

Garage

I wonder what the manufacturer might have to say?
Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #10

1st on my list!

Haven't seen my new (to me) van in months! Been in the shop. But the first thing I do when I get it out is replace the screens.

The Alaskan State Bird is beginning to make a showing!

Thanks for the post and SMB search feature!

Wandering Bob
WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote