Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #11

Re: SMB stovetop left burner won't ignite

Another thought from my partner, and stove operator, is that using the butane lighter as another poster has mentioned is a much nicer way to go since you don't get a gas smell in the cabin from doing it. Since the lighter is turned on before the gas valve is cocked open you get instant combustion - thus no gas build-up and stinky smell.

Have to admit, next time I get my propane system inspector out for a once-over I'm going to ask him to move the thermocouple as suggested and see if it helps the switch action at all.

joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
Another thought from my partner, and stove operator, is that using the butane lighter as another poster has mentioned is a much nicer way to go since you don't get a gas smell in the cabin from doing it. Since the lighter is turned on before the gas valve is cocked open you get instant combustion - thus no gas build-up and stinky smell.

Have to admit, next time I get my propane system inspector out for a once-over I'm going to ask him to move the thermocouple as suggested and see if it helps the switch action at all.
I don't mind lighting it by hand--it's just not supposed to be that way on new vehicle and SMB's response is a shoulder shrug. Please post results if you move the thermocouple.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
All is good with the new SMB except the SMEV stovetop. It's left burner won't ignite. The igniter sparks, gas flows but nothing happens. It will ignite with a match. SMB is shrugging its shoulders, saying its a known issue and they don't know how to fix it. Has anone had this problem and, if so, solved it? Nothing against matches, mind you, but I'd like the new appliance to work as designed.
Yes, I had this very same problem with my SMEV stove. I got my van in March of 2011. The ignitor worked for 1 day and then quit working. I took the stove out and took the bottom enclosure off. Not really that hard. I found the wire from the left burner spark device disconnected at the ignitor. When I reconnected it, both burners get a good spark.
DonSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

An update: Dometic sent me a replacement thermocouple & I started to install it today. To remove the old thermocouple you have to remove the top of the SMEV. That required removing the flame disperser in each burner. I removed the black top (2 torx screws, no big deal) and a nut fitting around the gas feed. The next item to remove was a small o-ring around the feed. Having no replacements if I screwed the o-ring up, I reassembled the burner. When done, I checked its operation and the igniter worked. I assume the flame disperser was adjusted too tight or too loose and I replace it just right. It's very similar to my old Whisperlite backpacking stoves, which were always hypersensitive to how tightly the flame dispersers were reassembled. (And required constant field maintenance so there were plenty of opportunities to experiment with a non-functioning stove--like the time the grizzly joined us for breakfast because we were too quiet and intent on fixing the stove, but that's a different story.)

My apologies for the lack of pics. I didn't think I was fixing anything. Hopefully, this may help others in a similar fix.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote