Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #1

Sound proofing the entire floor

Greetings,

It appears that there are many people on this forum with diesel vans.
I have read about noise issues in various threads.

So, who has installed sound proofing material on the entire floor of a camper van?
I have read about people wrapping their van in dynamat, second skin......,
but who has this stuff on the (entire floor?)

Is the interior any quiter?
Pros / cons?

Peace,

Zugg

Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #2

Re: Sound proofing the entire floor

I am interested too. I have been considering ripping out the carpet and replacing it with some other floor surface like linoleum. My main concern though is about heat and soundproofing if I do that.
bburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I have said it before in other threads, but I Dynamatted the ENTIRE van, and the doghouse is COLD, and when the windows are up, the engine is SILENT. When I did it,(a year ago while the van was being built, it cost $600 +; now I understand it's more. BUT STILL WORTH IT. Normal conversation in the van at all speeds. Wind noise is all we hear.
Bill
(also electric fan noise 'cause the sucker ALWAYS runs hot)
Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #4

I know this is an old thread but I do have a comment. I dynamatted (sp?) my 2006 Ford diesel while it was being built. Sorry I don't remember what it cost but I think it was about $750. This included the dog house, both front doors, and the sides of the entire back. I was not offered the option to have the floor done. As for noise, it is quiet enough to have driver/passenger conversations easily. I do have to have the person/people in the back speak up quite a bit to be heard in front, but I do think I am going somewhat deaf. When using a hands free headset for cell, I put a shooting ear plug in the other ear.
Heat from the doghouse was my concern when I ordered it. The dog house is cool to the touch, most of the time. Under the radio, just above the doghouse cupholders it ,gets very warm. But drinks in the cupholders do not warm up from below.
My only concern is when I did the calculation of weight (the dynamat website showed wieght of material per sq foot) it looked like I had added an extra 60 lbs or so to the van! Not alot by itself, but every 60 lbs starts to add up on this dreadnought.

DTT
NVHillHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #5

I just ordered all the stuff to soundproof the floor and doghouse. after alot of research on what to use, i am going with 25% dynamat ( more than that is a waste of money), full coverage of closed cell foam 1/4'',and full coverage of MLV 1/4''(mass loaded vinyl). From everything I read this is the best option for soundproofing. check out http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com for more info
RLC85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #6

Greetings,

RLC85- Sounds like you are on the right track.
I used 1/4 foam I up-cycled from a shoe shop that went out of business.
They sold me a bunch of foam that is used for the soles of running shoes. I applied 2 layers!
Then 3/4 plywood for the floor, then recycled cork from a company that makes wine.
But before all that went in, I sprayed the entire floor and walls with Lizzard Skin, a ceramic based spray that is a vapor barrier. Keeps the interior free of condensation, and helps regulate radiant heat on sunny days.
My van is super quiet and reminds me of a sound proofed recording studio.

Peace,

Zugg