Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

StarCool on E350 Ford 06 6.0 powerstroke needs refigerant

AC StarCool - need help.

I need to know the procedure for charging with refrigerant for my starcool in my 06 Ford E350 6.0 diesel SMB. The air works (sort of) on shore-power but not when I am driving down the road. Do both compressors need to be running to charge the system since they are linked together? Anybody know how to do this?

I understand their is refrigerant running through both the OEM front as well as the Starcool on the rear. I have the procedure for running while driving as well as parked on shore-power.

Ed
Nebraska

ebrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

from a past post on this subject Hope this is correct

My Starcool III (which has a separate electric compressor) holds 4.8 pounds in total like Joe posted. If they look it up on a Ford chart it will say something like 2.7 pounds or 44oz and that's wrong...that's a stock value. I ended up putting a waterproof label on the schrader valve and still had issues with shops not paying attention. That stuff is expensive.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #3

From memory, when you’re adding refrigerant you need to have both the van AND rear AC on and running to make sure the valves are open to allow the refrigerant to fully fill the system (including rear lines).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #4

Good luck with your Starcool. Ours was a much earlier version. It reached the point that we could no longer get it to hold a charge of Freon nor repair it. So we came up with another solution as described in this post.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ent-28618.html
CaptainBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
On my 06, both the Ford and the 12vDC (not the shore compressor) starcool systems must be operating while the system is being both used & recharged. It holds 72 oz which IIRC is 4.5lbs. You do not run the AC compressor unless on shore power and the Ford AC will be off. The thermostat needs to be off unless on shore power. When parked the pancake fans will automatically run. While driving using the 12v and Ford systems, the pancake fan on the radiator still needs to operate to get the coldest temps especially when the vehicle is idling or low air flow is passing thru the radiator.

So have your A/C guy evacuate the system and recharge with 72 oz while the engine is running and both 12v systems are operating just like when you are driving. Hope this helps. Remember to tell anyone who works on it that the system is an add-on and it holds 72oz or they will read the Ford manual and not fill it up correctly.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #6

my house compressor only works on 110 so I think I have to have working to charge the system but I am not positive. Anybody out there know???
Old 06-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

Dave may be correct I need to figure if my 12 volt compressor is working where is it located?
Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrogie View Post
my house compressor only works on 110 so I think I have to have working to charge the system but I am not positive. Anybody out there know???

My guess if both systems are not working, you just need to evacuate and recharge the system via the Ford schrader valves.
Attached Thumbnails
SC 1.jpg   SC A.jpg   SC B.jpg  

Old 06-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrogie View Post
Dave may be correct I need to figure if my 12 volt compressor is working where is it located?

The compressor for the 12v system is on the engine. It is the Ford compressor.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:12 AM   #10

Starcool HP ports

I called Sporstsmobile and the said my 2004 SM Econoline holds around 4.5 lbs of refrigerant. Put in 72oz and then dial it in with the guages. The system has two HP ports. Am I correct to assume one only uses the HP port on the engine?
Trappermax is offline   Reply With Quote