Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #1

Starcool recharge

Hi all

I have been slowly putting my used SMB into serviceable condition. With routine triple digit temps, the AC has become a priority. Blows cold in front and cool from Starcool unit.

It is a 1995 Starcool with R-134a. I read the manual and checked the sight glass. It has lots of air in it.

It is entirely possible that the unit has not been recharged since 1995.

Two questions:

First, is it a bad idea put in a couple of cans of R-134a and see if it holds pressure? Does the fact that it has air in it right now mean that it needs to be "cleaned" out first? If I go this route, how do I keep from overcharging?

Second, if I have it evacuated (and there are no leaks), what is a reasonable fee for the evacuation and recharge? I hate going in with no idea what it should cost.

Many thanks

Tom

PS: Here's a trip report. The story is about the Texas 200 sailing event but this was my first time out in the SMB. The SMB part of the trip was fine.....

http://texas200.com/2009/index.htm

bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #2

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Re: Starcool recharge

The sight glass is very handy to tell you when the system is full. Newer AC systems have deleted them and make it tougher for the untrained to know when full.

Overcharging is a potentially expensive repair. I recommend going to an AC shop, when needed. If your system works fine and doesn't cycle on/off continousy, you probably OK for a while.

That being said, I put in a can to my 95 SMB last summer until the sight glass was clear... so far its fine.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #3

80.00 bucks to evac & charge system. It will take about 1/2 lb over your stock ac charge. It's best not to overcharge it.
B & J
Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #4

Doh!

I called two places and they both quoted $160-170. May just be the Austin prices (they are high). I dropped it off this morning since I need it for the weekend.

Thanks

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote