Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

Starcool - should I even bother fixing it?

The previous owner said the Starcool in my 02 SMB was disconnected by the Ford dealer who was fixing the van AC.

I swapped some email with SMB and they said (essentially) "not a big surprise, those Starcools are problematic".

Before I go down the path of trying to fix it, I read a lot of threads here, and I'm asking myself, should I even bother? (because either it will be a lot of work/$$$ or it won't work all that well once it is fixed)

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Re: Starcool - should I even bother fixing it?

See if you can live without it.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I did just notice both freon lines for the Starcool, very neatly sealed and capped off, and ziptied to the van lines. So at least where it was disconnected is not a mystery. I think I'm moving it further down the priority list.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

There are different versions of the Starcool. I have the model that also has a separate compressor for use when shore power is available. Personally I would rather have a A/C system that has nothing to do with the stock Ford system. But IMO the Ford system is not large enough for the area I live in and the Starcool III works well with the stock A/C. It cools the van quickly even in the hottest weather when driving. I'm sure you've read I'm not thrilled with the shore power compressor's preformance.

If I were in your situation I'd look at Danhard's newer independent A/C's provided you actually need one.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I did just notice both freon lines for the Starcool, very neatly sealed and capped off, and ziptied to the van lines. So at least where it was disconnected is not a mystery. I think I'm moving it further down the priority list.

Are they copper lines? Brazed shut or crimped? I would like to delete my Starcool and and trying to figure out if I have to have coolant evaluated first. I suspect I do.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

They look like regular freon lines, with a thick black outer.

It looks like they are plugged or have t-pieces in them, and then shrink wrapped over that.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #7

I discovered the front electric fan was seized rock solid, so I removed it. I notice there is a side fan on the condensor (?) on the side of the frame too. Haven't looked at it too closely to see if there is an aux compressor. If there was, and there is an electric fan and a 2nd condensor, surely the best thing would be to loop up the shunted lines, and try and charge the system, and make it self contained from the vehicle AC.

The way I see it, if I don't, I am hauling around a bunch of dead weight.

So I either need to get it fixed, or remove it. Just still not sure where to start, I guess maybe trace out the components and refigerant lines that are there, figure out which fans work and which don't, and see if it has freon in it.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough

FWIW, I bought a 2002 with a Starcool III that had the freon lines cut and open. I had it repaired and am very pleased with it. I just use it on shore power when sleeping though. I had to replace both the fan behind the front bumper and on the side coils too; both were ceased. The fan units were identical and I found them direct from Danhard. The Starcool III manual is on the Wiki. You should be able to get part numbers there.

Also, there was a thread about operation while driving. You have to have the rear blower on or the dash air starts blowing warm. This was happening to me, and might be why you unit was disconnected in the first place.

Let me know if you need help.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much8ntenough
FWIW, I bought a 2002 with a Starcool III that had the freon lines cut and open. I had it repaired and am very pleased with it.
Thanks, I will check out the replacement fans. Do you have any details of your repair, or where/how the freon lines tie into the van compressor lines? I just need a plumbing diagram of where they should connect.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough

I think this will help...

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/mediaw ... Manual.pdf

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/mediaw ... Manual.pdf

The previous owner was going to remove for his next build, but had a change of heart. The lines were cut, but nothing was removed so it was clear what was needed to tie back in. Your lines from the factory system to the rear Starcool may have been removed, so it may take some searching to see where they tie in. The diagrams should help.

This is the thread that I mentioned above. I could see where this could have resulted in the PO of your van getting frustrated and disconnecting the Starcool. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... =40&t=1089