Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #11

Re: Std SMB sofa/bed sleep issues

My problem was always that the loose foam over the span was the softest, the cushion over the passenger side compartment the second, and then the seat way harder. There was this breakover because the seat was so much more stiff, and my wife and I were each more comfortable because of it in opposite directions.

We went with the pillow topper, but storage/moving is an issue. Not enough to get everything redone- but if I did I would redo the back two pieces to match the seat stiffness.

If it's a frame issue then you can probably block it so the seat doesn't drop too far- as for ours, the seat and both cushions line up perfectly flat.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #12

We use a 4" memory foam and keep the sheets on it. We just roll it back and fold the seat up. Before we did this my back was killing me every night. No problem now.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #13

@spurious

I have searched everywhere for such a bed frame, what would this be called? I was under the impression it was a jack-knife frame, but few results.

Thanks again, love the build.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #14

This one was a Atwood. They are in every conversion van that folds into a bed. All the fabric and springs were taken off....good luck
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
We use a 4" memory foam and keep the sheets on it. We just roll it back and fold the seat up. Before we did this my back was killing me every night. No problem now.
We have the Costco memory foam too and love it! Storage is the main problem and we just fold it in half with sheets on it and leave it in back behind the seat.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #16

We went through all the vans on the SMB-W showroom floor Monday and laid on all the beds/sleeping accommodations. The range of comfort was astounding. I found one rear gaucho to be quite uncomfortable. The PH bed was tolerable. One van had a single cushion rear bed that was made of 8-10" thick foam with a good finish. It was unbelievably comfortable.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #17

I have to put out the word and thank everyone who participated in this forum with great ideas for a better nights sleep

We ended up buying two of the Thermarest ProLite self-inflatable (you can also blow into them to make them as firm as you like) mattress pads from REI. They are light weight made for hiking, great insulators, and gave us just the right amount of padding for a comfortable sleep in the penthouse. They are full size, but roll up into a tight small package for stowage. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it!

Who knows, we may even use them for penthouse wall insulation some day (if were desparate enough).
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote