Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Storage Closure Ideas?

So I've created a storage space in and area previously unused or captured on my '05 raised roof EB former wheelchair transport E350 Club Wagon----needing ideas how to close the space off so the pictured storage containers won't continue to fall out while driving

(Should mention this space is between the original van metal roof over the front seats and the structure supporting the fiberglass raised roof.)

I've been considering Lexan mounted across the bottom side-to-side horizontal suppor of this space to see what I have up there, they'd be on spring loaded hinges holding it closed under most circumstances. Have also considered maybe a semi-custom made cargo net--just anything to keep things in place.

The space is about 44" wide, 5.75" tall and 18" deep. Its not huge, things seldom used but still important to have on-hand (like dry shoes and socks) will find a home there.

If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate seeing or hearing about them!

JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

Looks like a perfect place for some netting with a bungee top line. Should be pretty easy to put together.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Garage
^^^^ Good idea, was thinking the same myself^^^^

Could also consider purchasing some fabric that closely resembles your interior, sew industrial velcro on the top & bottom and affix across the opening...that way you can open any end (from top or bottom), and the stuff you store inside wouldn't be visible.
or, Same concept as above, but using snaps.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #4

Garage
I was thinking bungee cord nets as well. You could also buy bungee cord and hooks to make a custom size.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #5

Garage
2 ideas: (A) since it looks like you have a bit of extra room on top to lift them up, I’d consider a short wooden lip (like molding or 1x2) across the front. (B) one length of shock cord attached on both ends just a couple/three inches up run straight across. Depends a bit on how heavy your stuff will be, but a combination of both those strategies might work well.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I went with a spring loaded type hinge.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #7

I have a similar setup right now but with larger bins. I used velcro tape on the bottom of the bins and where I want to the secure them. It' a cheap and easy solution until I figure out something more permanent, bonus is that it doesn't rattle and they don't hit each other.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:57 AM   #8
JWA

Good ideas all around---the spring loaded hinges with a Lexan piece across the opening will serve the purpose for the short term. There won't be anything too heavy in the individual bins; shoes, socks, extra gloves and colder weather jackets should sit still.

I like the idea of Velco pieces on the bins and floor of the space, in addition to the spring loaded Lexan that should keep things in place.

I was thinking to look into custom made cargo netting with a smallish grid. Whether the "custom made" would be something I could buy off-the-shelf and easily modify to fit the opening or have someone in that business make it for me.

Oh well--for now the Velco and Lexan spring hinges will suffice---after a bit of transporting the Whatzits I can decide if that's sufficient for keep it all overhead and not scattered on the floor.

Thanks again all!
Old 12-26-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
JWA

Minor update on supplies for what I hope to accomplish..........

I'm mentioned perhaps a custom-made cargo net arrangement but didn't have much success finding suppliers so the Lexan/spring loaded hinges came to mind as an alternative. Since then I've found a supplier for DIY custom cargo nets---they're here: https://www.organizedobie.com/Bulk-Netting/Bungee

That page is just part of what they offer so I thought others here on SMB might find this outfit useful. Prices seem fair, shipping not the least bit outrageous---a pleasant surprise all around.

As I'm typing this they're closed until early in 2020 so I'll have to wait before submitting an order. I'm looking forward to working with these materials---could lead to expanding their use in other parts of my work van.

HTH
Old 01-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #10

We offer Custom Sewing, if I can make you something, let me know

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
So I've created a storage space in and area previously unused or captured on my '05 raised roof EB former wheelchair transport E350 Club Wagon----needing ideas how to close the space off so the pictured storage containers won't continue to fall out while driving

(Should mention this space is between the original van metal roof over the front seats and the structure supporting the fiberglass raised roof.)

I've been considering Lexan mounted across the bottom side-to-side horizontal suppor of this space to see what I have up there, they'd be on spring loaded hinges holding it closed under most circumstances. Have also considered maybe a semi-custom made cargo net--just anything to keep things in place.

The space is about 44" wide, 5.75" tall and 18" deep. Its not huge, things seldom used but still important to have on-hand (like dry shoes and socks) will find a home there.

If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate seeing or hearing about them!

Utah
OverlandGearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote