Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #11

Re: Suburban furnace model NT-12S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschopen
So, here's the latest for those of you that may be interested. I spent this weekend in McDowell Mountain Park with the wife and our dog and found that that furance performed like it should at an elevation of around 1,500 ft. It dropped down to around 40and usually fired up on the first to second attempt. Today we drove up to Prescott (elevation 5,000 ft)and it fired up there on the third attemt on the first cycle. Just got back to Flagstaff (elevation 7,000 ft) and nothing! Can't get it to fire. So, after spending several days researching and replacing parts, the conclusion I've come to is that the Suburban NT-12 doesn't operate properly above 7,000 feet. If anyone out there knows of a solution to get this thing to fire at this elevation short of placing your hand over the intake port outside the vehicle during its ignition stage, I would love to hear it.
jschopen:

Do'nt give up. I have the same heater. My rig is new and I have only used the heater 2 nights so far but both of those nights were at over 8000 feet near Luna NM. All night long the heater fired right off the first try.
I do not know what you should try but allowing the tech to bench test the unit might be cheaper than relpacing it outright.

JIM

-light of the morning, looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain

2012 SMB Sprinter, 2500 EB Tall, Brilliant Silver Metalic
12vdc no inverter, 180 w Permanent Solar, 120 w Portable Solar
Queen platform bed
(Delivery Taken 7/23/12) NM 31357RVB
JayBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschopen
dhally,

Which model Propex are you using and does it seem to operate at various elevations? ...
We have the HS2000 (7,000 BTU). It has worked perfectly from 500 ft. to 4000 ft. elevation, but of course it is still new. Our Suburban also worked perfectly when it was new, up to 7,000 ft.

If you have a penthouse or want plenty of heat I would go with the HS2800 (10,000 BTU). We used the HS2000 so it would fit behind the passenger rear wheel well in our RB, but it has to run a lot to keep the cabin warm even in 40F weather.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #13

Hello all,

Update on the furnace dilema, Contacted Suburban Manufacturing (Airxcel) and spoke with one of their technicians about the problem, he advised me to adjust the position of the igniter, so it is closer to the burner assembly. Still no resolution! He, also suggested that I upgrade to there MDL Nt-16 which is supposed to work better at a higher elevation.

Thanks for everyone's input!
jschopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #14

I had similar issues on mine over Thanksgiving at an elevation of 5000' in the Mojave. Does anyone know if there is a different propane blend that you run?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #15

JoeH,

I've attached the link regarding how to clean the combustion chamber on Suburban furnaces.

(http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums ... 18888.html)

Fortunately, there is an easier way - you can just remove the exterior vent cap and attach the hose from a 12 amp household vacuum cleaner to the exhaust port (it is a perfect fit by the way), and hold your hand over the INTAKE port and every speck of dirt in the combustion chamber will come out, WITHOUT REMOVING THE UNIT, or risking damage to it by completely disassembling it.

I hope this helps!!!
jschopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #16

That's a good tip Jeff

The availability of a Dinosaur Electronics aftermarket control board is good to know as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #17

One problem you can have is with your LP gas. "Propane" is a blend of Propane and Butane. Propane boils and turns from a liquid to a gas at -44* while Butane doesn't boil until about 28*. So if you fill up your LP in an area that is typically warmer it will have more butane in it because it is much cheaper than propane but then when you travel to a higher/colder climate it won't boil and then you wont get any gas even with over a half full tanks. You should try to fill your tanks in the area you will be where it is going to be the coldest.
time2mtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Fairly sure standard Propane here in the US isn't a mixture or blend such as isobutane and the like. Oher countries do use it though and it does react as you mentioned.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #19

yep, unfortunately it is. Even in the US. I'm a RV Technician and I see it all the time. Plus being certified to work on LP systems and fill LP we learned all about it.
time2mtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mtbike
yep, unfortunately it is. Even in the US. I'm a RV Technician and I see it all the time. Plus being certified to work on LP systems and fill LP we learned all about it.
This makes sense. and also echos my experience. My furnace had normal function until I filled the tank at a local filling station. The info in the SMB manual (p. 23 in mine) on the Suburban Furnace mentions a special propane blend might be needed at high elevation.