Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Suburban Heater installation

I have a 1995 Sportsmobile with extended cab and the EB10 layout (2 dinettes in the back of the vehicle). I would like to have a heater installed in the driver side dinette. There is space for Suburban NT-16SE heater. This is the direct duct version. The dinettes are 18" apart. I am concerned that this close distance may cause some problems (hot air back into the heater and getting the other dinette with the house batteries too hot). My van already has a propane tank onboard.

Does anyone have experience with this layout and heater installation? Any issues?

My second question is regarding the installer. I have gotten a quote from Van Specialities of Tualatin, OR to do this job for $985. Does anyone have experience with Van Specialities?

Thanks

Charlie

charlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

Re: Suburban Heater installation

I have a similar setup only the 12SE heater is on the passenger side. I have had no issues with this setup. Even with the dinette open to a bed the the heat rises around it and keeps the van warm. One thing to be aware with the setup you are planning is that you will need to sleep with your head on the passenger side. My heater is noisy and we learned the hard way to sleep with our heads on the opposite side.

There is another http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...ter+air+intake on the forum that talks about required distances from the heater air intake to the gas filler. You may ask VS about this.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

Garage

Van Specialties did my conversion and I would recommend them. The prices always seem high but they know what they're doing.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I just need to make an appointment now.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

We just got our van back from Van Specialities (Tualatin, OR) with our new furnace installed. They did a great job of installing the heater. I was very impressed in their workmanship.

We also got a tour of the facility. Very impressive. They seem to be able to handle any kind of job, from heat installs to complete conversions of vans. They had Ford, Dodge, Sprinters and even the new Nissan vans in their shop when we walked through. I would recommend Van Specialities for any van work.

Now we need to go on a cold weather trip to test out our new furance.