Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Suburban water heater replacement time??

Hiya,

I am flushing out my water heater (Suburban SW6D, the propane only one), and when I began this project after hours of research, I started by taking the anode out and it was really disintegrated, over 75%. The tank and the area surrounding the anode port was caked with calcium--I'm not sure how often the tank had been cleaned by the previous owner. So after hours of research, I began flushing out the tank with water removing a bunch of scales, but ultimately had to use vinegar to try and dissolve the calcium. I put only 1 gallon in last night as a test run, and when I purged the tank this morning, I noticed blue flecks coming out of the tank: the blue of the porcelain coating of the stainless steel tank. So now I'm concerned that because the tank had not been maintained well, the corrosion got to the point of ruining the porcelain coating, thus the underlying steel tank. Do I need a new water heater or tank now? Not sure if I can just get away with a new tank or if I need an entire new heater. Also thought about buying an endoscope to see the extent of the damage.... Has anyone else had a similar issue and sharing what you did? Thanks.

PNWschusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #2

Update after speaking with several companies: need a new water heater.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

Yep, I'd just replace. Luckily they aren't, or weren't, very expensive. Maybe $300 last I checked? It's not an awful job if you are fairly mechanically inclined. The sealer around the outside of the tank will want to hold on. Once you get it all completely cut the tank will easily come out. Of course, I am guessing this is a typical late model Ford van set up.

If you need advice on removal/installation post up some pics inside and out.

Your outer cover can usually be reused, if it is painted and you want to reuse it of course.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

I still have mine sitting in the shop. Let me know if you are interested.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...0-a-26966.html

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Yep, I'd just replace. Luckily they aren't, or weren't, very expensive. Maybe $300 last I checked? It's not an awful job if you are fairly mechanically inclined. The sealer around the outside of the tank will want to hold on. Once you get it all completely cut the tank will easily come out. Of course, I am guessing this is a typical late model Ford van set up.

If you need advice on removal/installation post up some pics inside and out.

Your outer cover can usually be reused, if it is painted and you want to reuse it of course.
Well, the local shop is booked out until August, but said if I get it is ASAP they could squeeze me in. They are a good bunch. So I went ahead and dropped it off yesterday. They are about $400, but of course, am being charged more, and labor on top of that. I am ok with some do-it-yourself projects, but this is way outside my expertise: propane, electrical, and water all at the same time. Although it was painful, I went all-American and threw money at the problem. Ugh. Thank you for your offer though. And yes, it is a 2014.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
I still have mine sitting in the shop. Let me know if you are interested.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...0-a-26966.html
I just saw this post--I went ahead and dropped it off at the local small RV place yesterday. They squeezed me in and it will be done today. It was painfully pricey, but that and a house battery are the only things in the van that needed replacing thus far after purchasing it in December, and wanted no part in a potential do-it-yourself disaster. I wish I was mechanically inclined enough to install it myself, and although I will get there someday, I am not there yet. Especially with electrical. Also, the model I have is the SW6D (rapid fire ignition). Thank you for the offer though!
Old 07-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you for the offer though!
No problem and glad you are getting it taken care of!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
Well, the local shop is booked out until August, but said if I get it is ASAP they could squeeze me in. They are a good bunch. So I went ahead and dropped it off yesterday. They are about $400, but of course, am being charged more, and labor on top of that. I am ok with some do-it-yourself projects, but this is way outside my expertise: propane, electrical, and water all at the same time. Although it was painful, I went all-American and threw money at the problem. Ugh. Thank you for your offer though. And yes, it is a 2014.
No worries. Time is money. Even if you could do it but don't have the time, you probably made the right move. Let us know how it turns out!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote