Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #1

Suggestions for a shop that will do a custom interior remodel

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this question so first, apologies if this is the wrong spot.

I'm seeking a shop who can "pimp my ride" with an interior upgrade. I have a SMB Penthouse 2008 Ford E250 that has some nice cabinetry but I want the interior to be more comfortable for my big dog and small cat traveling companions and I don't have talent, tools, or strength to do this, I really want a craftsman with pride in their attention to small details. This includes upgrading not only certain cabinet items, but rewiring the battery system and moving the breaker switches to the back instead of mid-van. And maybe even installing the "Topper EZ Lift" pistons to raise and lower the penthouse top which is getting a little heavy for me to lift with my shoulders as I gracefully age

I can drive the van to wherever, and drop it off and fly back home and leave it for however long we agree this will take as long as the shop is indoors and can keep it out of bad weather and lock it up at night.

Anyone have any vendor recommendations i can call? Or hey, if any of you get to the Overland East Expo and run into folks who do this could you please let me know and pass along their names? Thank you so much!

toriokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #2

There are lots of good quality shops all over the US. It would help is you told us where you were located.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #3

Sounds like you're on the east coast??? Maybe Eric (86Scotty) can help you out...
Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #4

Sorry, traveling all the time for work these days. But there are new van shops by the day. You know, #vanlife. Location would help and we can make some suggestions.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Garage
Looks like your in the North East - I recall a post a while ago from someone that does impressive interior work - you'd have to reach out to see if they can tackle any of the other projects
Try this:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cht-21293.html
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #6

Yes to all those who were clever enough to figure out I'm in the Northeast where Sportsmobiles are as rare as a water buffalo (unless you consider a moose).

In fact when I bring it to a Ford dealer they panic and say they can't touch it because it's not factory. And when I try to bring it to an RV Shop they laugh at me since they are used to working on those huge rigs with lots of room to move around in and standard manufactured interiors. The ones close to my home really aren't interested in doing a custom remodel.

I have really been sadly unsuccessful finding someone who wants the work (and that includes Sportsmobile itself since they don't support that chassis anymore.) That's why I'm here because I figure it might be that I need to drive a distance to drop it off. When I see some of the creativity of some of the members here I am in awe and just wish there were more #vanlife in my neck o'the woods.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

A few years back I had CycleVan in NJ do some work on my van (added a third captains chair). Not sure how deep they go into cabinetry and the like though.

Maybe look for a boat interior builder or even a local cabinet shop?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #8

UPDATE 10/28: still no luck finding someone. The crew up in Maine didn't feel this was a job for them. Keep your eyes open please! THANKS!
Old 10-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #9

Hey:

I'm located in Vermont and have a Ford E-250 "homebuild"....actually I had a master carpenter do my interior and could not be happier. Here is the info to contact.
Phil Fortin, 111 Cedarwood Road, Charlestown, NH 603-558-8015 or
phil@thewholetree.com.
Also, I had CycleVan in NJ install a Fantastic fan in the roof and an awning window on drivers side. Great job on both.
Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #10

Are you open to sending the van across the country? Have some recommendations in WA/OR.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote