Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Swing out counter shelf?

I've got a long counter along the passenger side. Below it are drawers, a cabinet with sliding doors, switches, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a drop-down shelf that could be used on that side, the problem being that there isn't much room to attach hinges or other mounting hardware. Being flush or nearly flush with the counter would be best. Something like the swing-up cabinet doors SMB made.

I'm kind of leery of attaching it directly to the edge of the counter, since even with a piano hinge I don't think it would be very strong. But I don't do much woodwork, so I defer to those more knowledgeable.

Rob

Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Re: Swing out counter shelf?

Need pictures of the counter/cabinet!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

Swing out counter shelf?

This is what is in my 89 SMB. Is it what you are looking for. It is basically a piano hinge a a collapsible brace. Both are standard cabinet hardware.

Shelf in down position

Shelf up

Underside
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369799199.780782.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369799232.304331.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369799265.488179.jpg  
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Re: Swing out counter shelf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Need pictures of the counter/cabinet!
That would help a bunch.

I had a similar setup to Larrie in my 2004 build but the stair-stepped stove/counter assembly was annoying and inconvenient. So I deleted the stove and redid the counter top & lift up door to be flat. See viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7801 The piano hinge is more than strong enough screwed to the plywood counter slab though I wouldn't expect the prop to hold me standing on it. A rule joint with their special hinges would have been more finished looking but I went the simpler route. See http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/online ... eJoint.pdf

If you go the flip-up route, you have to lift it every time you want sometime behind it so frequently accessed areas/items should be avoided. My portable propane stove (two burner Brunton) is behind mine. Your switches should be avoided or moved, and if you put it in front of the bank of drawers, you'll never get into the top one.

Another idea would be to redo the upper drawer with full-extension slides and a lift up lid or slot in a pull-out cutting board/dough board just under the countertop. Several ideas are here http://www.houzz.com/slide-out-cutting-board