Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Three questions: Awnings, refrigeration & engine sound proof

I have three interior issues I am trying to sort out (OK awnings aren't exactly interior, but this seemed like a decent place to post about it). The van we are talking about is an '84 E-350- a bit older than most of you are running, but I don't think that will make a huge difference. So, throw your thoughts/ideas out.

1. Awning: I want to add an awning that will before all your basic awning functions. When I search in the big-wide world of RV-ing the options are a bit dizzying. I am not looking for the top dollar solution, but something sturdy and easy to install. What do you guys suggest?

2. Refers: the rig currently has a 110v walmart frig. Worthless in my opinion (I do have an inverter and am installing a solar panel with charge control, but this unit is small and junky). I am leaning towards a top-open model both for greater cool retention, but also seems better ability to pack it full. Thoughts? The big issue here is then I would need a sliding/rolling rack sturdy enough for a loaded unit.... any suggestions? For what it is worth the Edgestar FP630 is the leading unit currently. Seems to have the best performance for the $ invested.If I don't go top loading I would step it up to the Isotherm Cruise CR 85. The Danfoss compressor sounds like it is the way to go. Either way I will be rebuilding the 'front of house' cabinetry.

3. Engine sound proofing: All in all an '84 6.9L with a hypermax turbo is not what one would call quite. In general, the sound proofing actually works quite well. However, there is a noticeable sound 'leak' on the passenger side. I have the cowling fitting nice and tight, but there is either less sound insulation here, or a gap in the seal or something. There seems to be room to add a little bit more sound insul- what products are safe to use? I am looking both for a sheet good to add to the existing layers, and maybe something to beef up the sound absorption at the gasket (oddly my wife is not crazy about the towel I keep at her feet to help out).

Alright have at it, hopefully you all have some good ideas and thanks for your time.

August

august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

Re: Three questions: Awnings, refrigeration & engine sound proof

August,
Most of us have the Fiamma awnings that SMB installs. While I have one, I never use it so I can't really comment. However, in a recent issue of Overland Journal they rate several different brands. I will look for it and let you know which issue.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #3

FWIW

this is my 4th build
2 campers, one westy vw van, and my smb

awning: fiamma
expensive
worth it
one person deploy
easy deploy

fridge: Truck Fridge
build for commercial rigs
meant to be on 24/7
less expensive

solar:
ya gotta do it
calculate your needs/power consumption
THEN look at panels and battery storage

off to work
feel free to pm me

ps
go to TheSamba.com
forums
vanagons
there are hundreds of thousands of these rigs out there
alot of great stuff
search awwnings, solar and fridge, truck fridge, virtifugo
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #4

I looked into the fiamma, looks great and reasonable enough. Still wondering about a less expensive frig though... I have looked at the vitrifrigo and isotherms, they seem like the best way to go (better compressor than Norcold and Engel etc.) but all are in the neighborhood of $1k. Is that just the way it is? Or any good options in the $500 range??

Engine sound proofing ideas?

Thanks-
Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by august
I looked into the fiamma, looks great and reasonable enough. Still wondering about a less expensive frig though... I have looked at the vitrifrigo and isotherms, they seem like the best way to go (better compressor than Norcold and Engel etc.) but all are in the neighborhood of $1k. Is that just the way it is? Or any good options in the $500 range??

Engine sound proofing ideas?

Thanks-
4.2 cubic foot truck fridge = $700
smaller ones $550
prob cheaper ones
but me, i would rather pay a bit more for cold food in BFE

sound proofing

i would look at dyna mat
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #6

Yeah, the Truckfridge tf 65 is only $550 and apparently has the danfoss compressor. I'll check out dynamite options. Thanks

August