Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #1

Timberline furnace availability?

We've been idly contemplating our next van build, and while I mostly like our current Rixen's Espar-based heating system, it looks like the newer Timberline system is slightly more suitable and user-friendly and roughly the same price point. However, my understanding is that it's built around a Russian-made furnace, which I assume makes it subject to possible sanctions and embargoes.

I haven't been able to find any news on this anywhere, has anyone heard anything or attempted to purchase one recently?

AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #2

I love my Chinese diesel heater and you can’t beat the price. My motor is gas so I just fill the included diesel tank as needed when getting gas.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #3

Garage
AndrewInSeattle, are you asking about Planar/Autoterm?

I bought a Planar that was shipped in early Mar. I bought from Expedition Upfitter/Total Composites in BC Canada. Don’t know about current boycotts, didn’t find good info with a quick google search, but there was info about vodka.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
AndrewInSeattle, are you asking about Planar/Autoterm?
Not exactly, but same issue. I was talking about the Timberline hydronic system that I've seen multiple van-builders tout lately, and that hit the big time when they were included in the Winnebago Revel. It's built around the Binar furnace, manufactured by Advers (Russian) and distributed by Autoterm (Latvian). But I also can't find any news or out-of-stock notices anywhere, so who knows?
Old 04-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I love my Chinese diesel heater and you can’t beat the price. My motor is gas so I just fill the included diesel tank as needed when getting gas.
I don't think I'm quite handy enough to do my own maintenance and troubleshooting, much less installation, so I'm willing to pay a premium for something that I can get looked at with only a couple hour drive.

I've been to Rixen's twice with our current Sportsmobile-built van, and they've been great, and have fixed things I'd have no chance of handling myself.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:59 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
Not exactly, but same issue. I was talking about the Timberline hydronic system that I've seen multiple van-builders tout lately, and that hit the big time when they were included in the Winnebago Revel. It's built around the Binar furnace, manufactured by Advers (Russian) and distributed by Autoterm (Latvian). But I also can't find any news or out-of-stock notices anywhere, so who knows?
Roger, don’t have any enlightenment for that.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
I don't think I'm quite handy enough to do my own maintenance and troubleshooting, much less installation, so I'm willing to pay a premium for something that I can get looked at with only a couple hour drive.
Understood. I think that at one point or another all these heaters will have issues or at least require maintenance. Personally, I've been running my Chineese diesel heater for a couple years with zero problems which I think is typical, but that's not to say there are not plenty of folks who do have issues, many of which are related to the instillation. If your close to Rixen, your in good hands.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:36 PM   #8

We got an Espar this winter and love it. Super simple and reliable. Uses barely any gas
Nathandeuel is offline   Reply With Quote