Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2024, 04:55 PM   #1

Transit seats in an E-series?

Just came across a nice pair of Transit seats for $50. Their mounting dimensions are 17.5” side to side and 16” front to back. That’s a way bigger footprint than my E350’s (10.75” side to side and 13.25ish” front to back). Has anyone pulled this swap off? If so, what was involved?

1999 E350 RB 5.4 Chateau
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:39 AM   #2

Are you meaning front seats? Sounds like it.

Are you measuring the base LxW instead of the actual seat? Sounds like it.

If so, what you would need to do is use your E series bases and mount the Transit seats on them. The E series floor and Transit floor are vastly different as are the floor mounting locations. Much easier to Fab a plate or bars, or perhaps you might be as lucky as just drilling new holes in the seat track (less likely) or the E series base (more likely) but there is some minor metal fab involved in doing a swap like this.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:50 AM   #3

Not sure how this plays with swivel bases but could be fun to find out!

As 86Scotty said, adapter plate atop the ESeries base can be made up. Not going to be DOT approved but .....

The height of the T seat atop the E Series pedestal should be close to the E seat???
Old 05-23-2024, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
The height of the T seat atop the E Series pedestal should be close to the E seat???
You meaning top of headrest of top of butt of seat (meaning how it 'sits')

The answer to either of these is about the same in my experience though.

Somebody has put Transit fronts in an E series before. I've seen it but it's been awhile and I can't remember who or where.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Are you meaning front seats? Sounds like it.

Are you measuring the base LxW instead of the actual seat? Sounds like it.

If so, what you would need to do is use your E series bases and mount the Transit seats on them. The E series floor and Transit floor are vastly different as are the floor mounting locations. Much easier to Fab a plate or bars, or perhaps you might be as lucky as just drilling new holes in the seat track (less likely) or the E series base (more likely) but there is some minor metal fab involved in doing a swap like this.
Thanks Eric.

Yes and yes to your first two questions.

How thick do you think the plate or bars would need to be for the mod to be safe?

I’ll go measure the LxW at the top of the E-series base and see how close it is to the bottom of the Transit seats.
1999 E350 RB 5.4 Chateau
Old 05-23-2024, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
As 86Scotty said, adapter plate atop the ESeries base can be made up. Not going to be DOT approved but….
Thanks Ray. I prefer doing things the government doesn’t approve of. Still want to make sure it’s safe though.
1999 E350 RB 5.4 Chateau
Old 05-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #7

I bought some new take-off Transit front seats to use with E-series swivel bases from 1der. After a bunch of measurements (height, width, angle, etc.) I came up with a pretty simple adapter setup. That was a year ago... I got sidetracked, so I have yet to test fit in the van, weld them, powdercoat, and post about them.

I don't have a ton of pics because they're not finished, but basically I removed the adapters for the E-series seat from the swivel and replaced it with pieces I fabricated (blue tape in place of the weld, for now):

I'm hoping to get caught up with this and some other projects in the near future. A key question for me is whether the swivel still works with the wider Transit seat base.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:55 AM   #8

Thanks Kibo. Very interested to hear how it all works out.
1999 E350 RB 5.4 Chateau
Old 05-23-2024, 04:57 PM   #9
Orv

Garage
I did something like that to mount some mid-2000s (2nd gen) Mini Cooper front seats. They also mount on a flat surface but with a wider footprint than an E-series seat. I used angle stock because I was concerned flat stock might not be stiff enough. It's worked out great so far, although clearance for the seat tracks is slightly tight when swiveling.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:06 PM   #10
Orv

Garage
Some pics of what I did. It's important to keep track of where the swivel mounts are in relation to where you need to seat to be. Centered may not be correct; it's best to test-fit. On mine I had to offset the driver's seat a bit to center it behind the steering wheel, and I offset the passenger seat outboard quite a bit to give more leg room next to the engine cover.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2348.jpg   IMG_2353.jpg