Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #1

water heater 120V?

My project is to make my own sportsmobile here in Canada. I still have a lot to do. I didn't find the van wet.
At this time I didn't consider to install any propane equipment on board. My setup is to use 2 AMG batteries, diesel heater, 12v fridge, 12v water pump.
I want to find a good alternative for the water heater.
Diesel water heater are too expensive to consider it.

My question is

What do you know about this product?
Is it a good choice?
What do you suggest me?

http://www.hubbellheaters.com/model/ce110/

Hubbell
Model CE110
Compact Point-of-Use Electric Water Heater
1 Gallon, 1000 Watts 120 Volt, 1 Phase

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
maricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

Garage
I thnk you'd be better off to buy an Espar or Webasto hydronic coolant heater. You could use the hot coolant in a fluid to fluid heat exchanger to get hot water and you could use it with a fluid to air heat exchanger for cabin heat. Would kill 2 birds with one stone and get you hot air and hot water with one device.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

I've converted a small 110V water heater to 12V and it works fine, however depending on how much water you need to heat up (and how fast!) you may need more than a couple of AGM batteries if you are not running the engine/alternator.

Using a 110V water heater element will waste power inverting unless you are on shore power.

Here is the thread with (hopefully) some useful information...about 1/2 way down the page:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...t=13704&page=2
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01 View Post
I thnk you'd be better off to buy an Espar or Webasto hydronic coolant heater. You could use the hot coolant in a fluid to fluid heat exchanger to get hot water and you could use it with a fluid to air heat exchanger for cabin heat. Would kill 2 birds with one stone and get you hot air and hot water with one device.
Great idea.
After read this I tried to find more informations.

I would like to know if the water will be hot enough to take a shower with just a heat exchanger?
Do we need to keep circulation pump on all the time to have hot water on demand? or we can action it just when we need hot water?

sorry for my poor english.

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Old 12-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Even though I've actually never timed the length, I think you'll have hot water for about 20 minutes or so provided the engine is at operating temperature. After the engine is shut down it depends on how cold it is outside and the speed of the winds. Just figure that the wind cool the engine at various rates. I also have rerouted the lines through the block rather than the heater core lines so I might get a bit more before the temps begin to drop off. The pump (not the Espar Hydronic) must be ran to circulate the water through the flat plate so be aware that the little pump pulls a few amps itself. Myself I find I don't just run water constantly because I don't have much on board. If you're hooked to a shore water source and run it on a constant flow, the flat plate will cool the water quicker. Some people just run the engine while using the flat plate only but in most circumstances it's not necessary.

One thing I really like about the Hydronic is the ability to heat the engine before a cold start and use it more for that than as a water heater. But it is nice to have on demand hot water in the early morning when the engine is cold.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #6

If I understand properly the system, when you want to use hot water for a shower few minutes after shut down your engine, you turn on the circulation pump, you use the shower and you turn off the circulation pump up to next use. Am I right?

If the engine is cold, you turn on the circulation pump and the hydronic, you wait some minutes (how long do you think?), you use the shower and you turn off everything until next use.

Without reservoir you have to do this sequence each time you want hot water. Isn't it?

thank

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maricard View Post
If I understand properly the system, when you want to use hot water for a shower few minutes after shut down your engine, you turn on the circulation pump, you use the shower and you turn off the circulation pump up to next use. Am I right?

If the engine is cold, you turn on the circulation pump and the hydronic, you wait some minutes (how long do you think?), you use the shower and you turn off everything until next use.

Without reservoir you have to do this sequence each time you want hot water. Isn't it?

thank
Yes, but when using the flat plate only (engine hot but not running), as the radiator water cools you have to adjust the hot/cold mix. I've been able to get two full "submarine type" showers when it's in the 70's outside. I never took the time to shut it down... I was in & out w/i about 10 minutes and it was ready for the next occupant. One thing I've found (especially for the ladies) is to use a water-less shampoo prior to the shower. Washing hair seems to waste a lot of water. There's no need to rinse out the water less stuff but even if you do it doesn't take much to do a quick hair rinse if you want to compared to trying to rinse out regular shampoo. I only have a 18 gallon tank so I try to be as conservative as possible.

Sorry I can't say how much longer the engine would have supplied comfortably warm water past 30 or so minutes.

There is no need to turn on the additional circulating pump when using the Hydronic itself as it has its own pump. In fact it will (using the additional pump) waste battery power.

In most cases depending on how cold it is and how fast the unit fires up, hot water at the sink is 3 or 4 minutes away. For some reason my Hydronic will fire up and then shut down, then automatically re-cycle and start. After you hear the unit run at full speed the flat plate sends hot water on its way. Because (like most homes) it takes a while before the hot water reaches the tap, I capture the cold water if need be. That water can be used for washing dishes and what not...why let the water run as waste? It also makes a difference where the shower wand is connected with respect to the flat plate. I have two wands, one at the rear doors and a portable wand that plugs in on the side of the van a foot away from the flat plate. FWIW the rear wand takes longer before the hot water reaches it.

The nice thing about the Hydronic is it supplies hot water quickly and when you're done just turn it off until you need it again where as the flat plate requires you to get the engine at running temps or actually keep the engine running while you shower as the engine warms. Most all the units require a tempering valve in the build. Mine was one of the first and didn't have one and the water almost burned me a few times. I now have one.

I'm not sure what you mean by "without a reservoir" but if you mean using water from a constant supply, I think each will work. The espar will supply hot water as long as it is turned on and so will the flat plate only provided the engine is running. The only reason to have the secondary circulation pump is so you can use the engine as an insulated water tank that provides hot water for a limited time with the engine shut down. Many people just run the engine (no pump at all) to supply hot water via the flat plate. The flat plate works similar to a heater core and the vehicles water pump forces water through it.

I do not know anything about the D-5 Hydronic or its operation only that it doubles as a cab heater. My water heater is very loud while it cycles on and off compared to my Airtronic. I'll let those with the D-5 comment on that unit.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #8

Salut Maricard. Beinvenue a la maladie de Sportsmobile.

Quel sort de van as-tu?

La ville de Quebec est la plus belle d'amerique nord. ��

Gavin
Old 12-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Yes, but when using the flat plate only (engine hot but not running), as the radiator water cools you have to adjust the hot/cold mix. I've been able to get two full "submarine type" showers when it's in the 70's outside. I never took the time to shut it down... I was in & out w/i about 10 minutes and it was ready for the next occupant. One thing I've found (especially for the ladies) is to use a water-less shampoo prior to the shower. Washing hair seems to waste a lot of water. There's no need to rinse out the water less stuff but even if you do it doesn't take much to do a quick hair rinse if you want to compared to trying to rinse out regular shampoo. I only have a 18 gallon tank so I try to be as conservative as possible.

(more)

I do not know anything about the D-5 Hydronic or its operation only that it doubles as a cab heater. My water heater is very loud while it cycles on and off compared to my Airtronic. I'll let those with the D-5 comment on that unit.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Nice write-up daveb.
I appreciate your knowledge.

What do I need to run this setup?

plate

espar or webasto unit

Imagine a bunch of pipe. Where on the engine coolant lines we had to cut for a best result?

What kind of water pump do you use?

Is it possible to use the same heater unit to heat the air of the cabine?
With this thing maybe?

Do I need something else?

Thank

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
Salut Maricard. Beinvenue a la maladie de Sportsmobile.

Quel sort de van as-tu?

La ville de Quebec est la plus belle d'amerique nord. ��

Gavin
C'est vrai que la Ville de Québec est merveilleuse. Encore plus l'hiver!

Je suis activement à la recherche d'un van pour passer du bon temps en famille et voyager. Un p'tit nouveau dans la famille est en chemin, donc je recherche un e-350 EB pour faire moi-même mon propre camper. Hier j'suis tombé sur celui-ci : http://www.groupegrenier.com/certifi...1ba5a7ab1f.htm

Il est super, mais il est court.

Et toi, qu'est ce que tu as?

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe