Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

water pump and shower wand

I finally filled up my water system. I have been putting it off because I was a little tardy in winterizing it last fall and I suspected that I froze things up a bit. First thing that I noticed was that when I turned the pump switch on, it did it's normal little blast and then shut off like normal. Then it kept coming on for a second or two and shutting off. It would cycle like this every 5 or 10 seconds. I had all the valves closed and couldn't see any water leaking from anywhere. The pump is the Shurflo 2088-403-144 and I don't see it listed on their website anymore.

Second issue was the shower wand leaked under the tightening collar. I have the Atwood system with the two valves, one for hot and one for cold. I tried tightening it but it didn't help. I took it apart and there doesn't seem to be any "O" rings between the plastic hose and the hand held, just a place where two clearish plastic and white plastic pieces come together.
Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #2

Re: water pump and shower wand

OCLY: Someone may have better info for you but on my RV I sold I had the exact same symptoms, with no leaks and it was a bad pump. It was fairly new. RD
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

I didn't think I had any leaks because I had the rear cushions off and the back seat partially raised. I found I had a leak outside. Apparently the gray valve handle for the filler wasn't shut completely and I found that I have a leak in the pressure reducing valve at the city water fill. On the leaking shower hand held wand, I went to my local TruValue store and found a 21/32" Bibb gasket that went right into the wand perfectly and stopped the leak. $1.19. Thanks. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #4

Good Deal
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #5

If you don't see any visible leaks, chances are the grey fill valve at the water tank is bad. When it is bad, water will continually flow through the valve and into the tank whenever the pump is on, causing the pump to cycle repeatedly. If you're connected to city water, a bad valve will allow the tank to overfill. It is a 1/2" angle stop valve that you should be able to find a replacement for.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #6

Take a look at this thread about water leaks for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3175&start=0
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote