Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #31

You really don't need the velcro.

I started with the roll on the shelf on one side of the front. I unrolled it so I had an end to work with and put the end between the X and the canvas, until the edge butted against the leather loop holding the canvas to the center of the X. I cut two horizontal slits in the Reflectix about 8" long, and a little over 1" apart.

This "tongue" goes around or through the leather strap (the original intent, however not needed). In this manner your front piece starts about 8" behind the X, providing some overlap later.

The rest of the front was simply unrolling the Reflectix around the top and repeating the horizontal cuts on the opposite side, such that the Reflectix was a little bigger than needed overall from X center to X center (helps it stay in place and you can always cut the loop slits longer if you have too much).

I then made a 3" slit in each front lower corner vertically- this allows the bottom 3" of the front to be sort of tucked under- it's a small difference from just having the Reflectix sit vertically, however I think it fits better in the Front.

Repeat with the rear, horizontal slits and overlap on each side. The only difference is the vertical slits at the canvas corners were not needed as the Reflectix sits perfectly on the rear PH shelf.

The Reflectix will stay just fine with only the overlap, however unrolling the curtains over the sides helps it stay in place. An overlap of about 8" is plenty to keep the cold out without additional fastening.

I labeled my leading edges with Aluminum tape and a sharpie so putting it up is not an issue, however it is a bit unwieldy in two big pieces, the lack of gaps makes it worth it.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
You really don't need the velcro.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 11-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #33

Yeah, thanks much for the description, but hard for my little brain to visualize. How about some pics?
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #34

You know if I took the photos I thought I did, I wouldn't have written all that. Blah blah. Until I put the top up again you'll have to live with the following random shots- and nothing says this is the best solution.

Purple enlargement shows one of the front corner slits (the second slit is a mistake, too far back on the corner) and the front lower tucked under the edge via the slits.

The green area highlights one of the side slit pieces- they just hang whereever. Also look at the back top to see that it just sits there, and note the window shades dropped over the reflectix. Matching towel is optional.

Last I took a photo of the outside and drew lines- the red represents the front and one side of the reflectix, the yellow the back. I tried to show the overlap at the X. The yellow continues around the back and up the other side, the red continues down the other side with matching overlaps on the opposite side.

Hope this helps. I would like to see/hear about other solutions.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #35

VERY helpful, thanks!
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #36

Jage,

Cool idea on the Reflectix material. How much difference would you say it makes temperature-wise? Can it be folded in such a way that you could store it on top of the PH bed when the top is down?

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #37

The two large top piece are folded as long as the PH bed front section and then overlapped in the middle as they are two wide to go side by side. The rear of the PH bed and shelf are where all the bottom window and windshield pieces go. It's a tight squeeze and takes up all the available space and then some.

It makes an amazing amount of difference in temperature. Once you put them up you can feel the difference. The upper PH section makes more of a difference- I'll usually put that up first to keep heat in the top, but the window pieces on glass make a big difference as well so it is hard to say overall. There is also more airspace to heat with the top up, regardless of insulation.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #38

Hopefully these are some more informative photos:

Old 12-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #39

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Awesome Jage! Rig looks warm and toasty inside. How many rolls of reflectix did you end up using?

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #40

Two, and some aluminum tape (for the windshield pieces). I've since done my Jeep soft top with another roll.