Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #51

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Seeing this picture it is clear my model is different from yours. It's possible I'm mistaken and it can be set for low temps as well but, I haven't stumbled on that option. I do know there are aq number of add ons you can get including modules to open windows, etc. I just have the basic system that will start the engine at the first temp setting and set off alarms & page me at the second (higher) temp setting. I didn't really get to use it before it got cold this year.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #52

I snow camp all winter long for skiing. I like to be warm, so I simply don't use the top bed in the winter. In fact, I removed the top bed platforms entirely so that I'm not driving them around.

Tips for skiing in an RB-50:
*remove the door on your water fill under the bench seat, and your skis stick straight through. Watch that you don't melt them with your heater outlet if you have the espar though; I delaminated some tips once.
*Use the reflectix on the lower windows for sure.
*I moved my flatplate heater inside, and wouldn't have it any other way. I thing SMB is still making a safety mistake with their valved "fix" while still leaving the flatplate inside. They have only put a bandaid on the issue.
*Instead of the top bed, I put a rack along the read made of metal screen/mesh. Put your gloves, boot liners, jackets, etc up there, and they dry out over night nicely, as heat rises. Works like a charm for warm dry boots and gloves in the am.
*Definitely put thin sheet of ethefoam under the water tank, or it'll freeze. Also get your water lines off the floor or they'll freeze, even if you keep your heater on.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #53
Site Team

Re: What is your set up for winter camping with a pop-top?

Found a source of attractively priced insulation materials, though I have not used them. They have a shipping cost link, which actually wasn't nearly as scary as I expected. They sell large rolls, so you better have a lot of SMB friends, or other uses for the leftovers. They are located in Colorado.

http://www.insulation4less.com/

Herb
Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #54

Herb ,
I ordered the Prodex House Wrap from this company several months ago for my garage and it works extremely well . I realized an immediate 10 degree difference heat or cold from outside temperature's . Do you think that this would work a well as the Reflectix that Jage originally posted for this upgrade ? The Prodex is stiffer and ribbed instead of the more pliant bubble type material .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Herb ,
I ordered the Prodex House Wrap from this company several months ago for my garage and it works extremely well . I realized an immediate 10 degree difference heat or cold from outside temperature's . Do you think that this would work a well as the Reflectix that Jage originally posted for this upgrade ? The Prodex is stiffer and ribbed instead of the more pliant bubble type material .
Greggde
I wondered about that myself. Appears to be a bit thicker, and like you mentioned stiffer so storage space in the SMB might be an issue, as well as just maneuveing into position in the PH and windows. Since they're in CO, I think Jage needs a homework assignment.

It did cross my mind to use it as garage (door) insulation. Maybe in my next house where the temperature swings are greater.

Herb
Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #56

Sheesh
glad i have a newly, well insulated Cruiser top
water lines off the floor as well as water tank
Heater blows right in under bed so we are good there
Two small computer fans to circulate air

I had to unzip the sleeping bag, i was too hot

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #57

This worked for me on my door.....get some heavy (upholstery type) fabric, some thin quilt batting, and reflective fabric and sandwich them with the batting in the middle. Seam around 3 edges, turn inside out with batting inside, seam the open edge then apply with sewn-on velcro. I don't recommend snap unless plastic, because the metal will carry the cold on through. Works just as well in summer for insulation. Now we just leave it on the door.
Good luck,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #58

We just got 11 inches of snow overnight in SE Michigan. It made me think. How do you guys the do winter camping with a penthouse top handle that. I would surely use corner supports but a foot of snow on the roof could easily weight 200lbs+. And it is on the roof 9 feet or so above ground. I would think you can't safely lower the top with that much extra weight up there. Do you take a snow rake with you? Some how you got to get off before you lower the top? Right??

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #59

Strap over the roof with a helper to pull/sweep? I have the electric and don't worry about these things. I also don't put my top up when it's that cold.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
We just got 11 inches of snow overnight in SE Michigan. It made me think. How do you guys the do winter camping with a penthouse top handle that. I would surely use corner supports but a foot of snow on the roof could easily weight 200lbs+. And it is on the roof 9 feet or so above ground. I would think you can't safely lower the top with that much extra weight up there. Do you take a snow rake with you? Some how you got to get off before you lower the top? Right??
Last time we were in Yosemite we had heavy snow. I put the PH down and we slept down. In the morning I was glad we did that. There was ~8" of heavy, wet snow on the top. I couldn't begin to lift the top. Climbed up and shoveled snow with a plastic dustpan for 45 minutes - about 150# of snow by my estimate. That much snow would probably have collapsed the top without extra supports. Wonder how we could have gotten out of that?

I have no idea how to remove snow from a raised PH top.

Scary thought and would cause me to lose sleep. I guess an electric PH would eliminate some of the concerns.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote