Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

What kind of storage containers do you use inside your rig?

I know this sounds strange to ask since most of you just got your rig home then figured out what fit inside...
But I am in a unique situation.
The Disabled Explorers SMB will more than likely be finished right before the SEMA show in Vegas where it will be a feature vehicle.
That means I will have to go out to Fresno with all the gear, literature, display items and more, pack the rig, hit the road and setup in Vegas ready to go.

Here is the floor plan I am looking at and just imagine a wheelchair lift by the side doors, the 3rd seat is removeable with wheelchair tie downs in the floor and more than likely storage along the fixed top upper sides. There will be the XL floor storage also. Aluminess bumpers front & rear with the box on the rear swingout.

So my question is, what kind of containers if any do you use inside your galley, your closet, your strorage areas.
It would be great if I could pack my stuff in the right containers or bags at home and be ready to go when I hit Fresno.

Hard cases vs soft bags vs just shoving stuff into compartments?

Thanks in advance
Lance

Old 08-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #2

Re: What kind of storage containers do you use inside your rig?

I have a deep drawer that fits 6 hard containers and my toaster oven. It is too deep to just put stuff in, and too big to fill anyway which would be wasted space.

The other place I use a container is in the bottom of the closet, the 3rd "shelf" is set a few inches below the door.

Lastly I have a medium sized tub that goes between the door galley and bench seat.

Everything else is stored loose.

The problem is it's all unique to my rig... my best advice is to hit Wal-mart and Target for a few dozen back-to-school containers you think might fit. My drawer buckets are just some random containers about 9x6x6 that happened to work perfectly, but they're not branded and I haven't seen them since.

As soon as you get the SMB you can mix and match to find which things fit where, and either return or donate the rest to schools.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

We have a EB-50 with a larger frig and microwave and so we have no drawers to store things in. We do have the standard -50 slide-out pantry and food items are stored loosely in there. We also have storage along the side of the van on the driver's side behind pantry. We have some cheap plastic trays in this storage area for things like snacks, cans of food, etc., i.e., things that would otherwise roll around if not contained. And we store things in the narrow shelf above the sink/stove such as flashlights, stove ignitor, and other things in Eagle Creek bags.

We use a lot of Eagle Creek storage accessories from the smallest Cosmo bags to the Double Pack-It Cubes and small stuff sacks. They are stashed in the tray above the cooking area, behind the sofa in our design, in the door, etc. The following are some of the things we store in these "bags" (each line is another cube or bag):

Toothbrushes and tooth paste
Remotes for the electronics
Medicines and pills
Spare batteries, rubber bands, matches, etc. (like the drawer in the kitchen)
Things needed on the road like pens, nail file, Post it notes, etc. (stored in the dog house)
Shampoo, bar soap
Silverware (remember, no drawers)
Maps (state, BLM, FS, etc.)
Air hose and inflator valve for air compressor

We also have Double Cubes for clothes...3 changes of clothes plus can be stored in one of these and we each have one for short trips. For longer trips, we take two each. There are stored in a plastic milk box behind the sofa.

We have two large duffels for bedding (no sleeping bags) together with another duffel just for warm clothes...down jackets, rain gear, gloves, etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Thanks guys...
Anyone have the EB70 layout and some tips?

My hope is that going out to Fresno a couple of times during the build I can get some ideas & measurements.

They way they kind of things work out I figure to be flying into Fresno sunday & driving to Las Vegas for SEMA the next day to setup

I have to say Alan & all the guys at SMB West have been super cool with. This project vehicle. Especially with regards to the adaptive install with Nor-cal mobility. It would be so much easier if this was just my personal rig....but the fact that it is for Disabled Explorers changes a bunch of factors.

Thanks again to all of you who have withstood my barrage of questions.