Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #1

What material is SMB countertops?

Our 2005 SMB has many fine scratches in the kitchen countertop. I see some repair products are specific to the countertop material. I'm wondering if anyone knows what SMB was using for countertops in 2005? At first I was thinking it's Corian but I see the current SMB's use an acrylic material.

Any thoughts on how to make this look better will make my wife very happy, and as a result I'll be happy too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191218_133659.jpg  

sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

Garage
Depends on what you specified at build time. Mine is the one piece cast acrylic/resin type with the built in sink (2007 era). I removed my scratches with an orbital sander and medium and then fine paper, then a final with very fine scotchbrite pads. Then a coat of auto wax.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Depends on what you specified at build time. Mine is the one piece cast acrylic/resin type with the built in sink (2007 era).
I'm the 3rd owner, so I don't know what was specified on the build. But I have the one piece countertop/sink as well in my 2005 so I'm pretty sure it's the same as your 2007. Thanks for the tips on removing the scratches.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #4

It's some brand of Acrylic, Corian, Himacs it doesn't matter what brand. You can sand it out with an orbital sander, start with 150 grit depending on the depth of the scratches. Keep the pad flat on the surface or you will dig rutts into the counter. Take it down to 220 using water then use a grey scotch Brite pad for final finish. You don't want to Polish it, just a satin finish is good.
Make sure you get the scratches out with the first sand paper so your not polishing the scratches.
Good luck ��
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:57 AM   #5

A long time ago, I bought a fairly old SMB that was made of epoxy and acrylic. I assume that in 2005 most of the countertops were made of them. I've never liked how they looked, tho, but my wife insisted on them. Plastic is easy to scratch and crack. So scratches immediately appeared on the old countertop, and I was tired of constantly polishing and waxing it. I recently saved up a bit and looked for other countertop materials. I liked granite and quartz the most. After doing some research on their characteristics, including reading articles on how do they make quartz countertops and how they polish the granite for kitchens, I decided to go with a quartz one because it's extra durable and scratch-resistant.
Irabrest is offline   Reply With Quote