Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #11

Until COVID, I was a Fridge-Off/Door-Open guy, but we also have shore-power so our fridge has been on 100% as a backup/overflow fridge since March 2020.

Keeping food or beverages in the fridge keeps the cycling to a minimum, and shore power ensures the batteries stay happy and charged, no matter what the weather is doing.

Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #12
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Plugged into shore/garaged, fridge always on, usually with pop (soda from where I am from org.) and other beverages and open baking soda box....
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTonics View Post
. . . But if I just leave it on all day/everyday, that seems like a lot of work for the fridge to stay cold (even set at “1”) and a lot of cycling for the batteries . . . .
That’s no different than traveling for weeks or months at a time. The system should be able to handle it. Shore power helps.

We leave the door open until we can clean the fridge, then close it since the van gets daily driver use. Turn it on for grocery shopping in the summer. Main thing is to make sure it’s dry so you don’t get mold.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #14

Fridge on, shore on.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:37 PM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
What to do with fridge between trips?

I think in the end, it all depends on your usage frequency. If you don’t get out other than a few days a month, shut it off after use, put a towel down and leave the door open(otherwise you’ll be cultivating the next contagion outbreak, ask me how I know).
If you use your rig more frequently, leave the fridge on between uses, having solar or being plugged into shore power during down time will help keep your battery happy. You’ll just have to thaw out your freezer once in awhile.
Our Truckfridge has been running nonstop for almost 2 years now full timing on the road, when back at home, I’ll usually shut it down and clean it out between trips, even though I use the van all the time, I just don’t always need the fridge.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:38 AM   #16

Fridge on 24/7
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #17

Fridge is on 24/7. Solar panel and the occasional drive in to work keeps everything topped off. Other nice thing is I can leave some essentials in there full time so we don't have to worry about packing them for each trip. Also makes for a nice beer fridge.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #18

Well since my 4wd Transit is my daily I run the fridge 24/7....and have done that with all my fridges since 2007. Never any issues even in the crazy Phoenix heat.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #19

Fridge off. Propped open with a stack of magnets in the door jamb, and a bungie to keep it from flapping around while driving. We put a tupperware container to catch condensation while defrosting.
BK8LST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #20

We replaced the old Norcold with a new Isotherm Cruise 65, which draws much less juice and is MUCH quieter. We leave it on all the time during camping season, and our solar system maintains the batteries quite well, taking the two new 105 Ah AGM's up to 100% every day.