Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
The plastic hides some wiring and if the van has a remote entry then it also hides the control box. The headliner hides more wires. The carpet hides the metal floor. All three are there to beautify the interior. All three are reasonably easy to take out. Be sure to check for rust under the carpet before buying.
Thanks for that Larrie.... do they even make an attempt at sound proofing or insulation of any kind ?

** No BS, No Stories, No Disappointments **
Headin' Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

No sound insulation behind any of the plastic eye candy.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
No.

Sorry.

My answer would be maybe. Colorado Camper Van May be able to remove the existing fiberglass top and install one of their tops. Give them a call to find out. Sportsmobile would not be able to do it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
October of 2017 I bought a fully configured Club Wagon that had been further upfitted with the raised roof, extended height rear doors and wheel chair lift. Since then all the existing interior has been removed and recycled and currently building it out to become a well insulated work/cargo only van.

If I can answer any questions you may have please feel free to ask. As already said though once all that gingerbread is removed you have a bare van, not unlike one ordered just to haul things.

In my perfect world I'd have found an extended body E350 with the raised roof and taller rear doors but without the body side glass. Because those are almost never available I had to go with the full glass version, this particular van being in good enough condition for its final intended use.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
No sound insulation behind any of the plastic eye candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
October of 2017 I bought a fully configured Club Wagon that had been further upfitted with the raised roof, extended height rear doors and wheel chair lift. Since then all the existing interior has been removed and recycled and currently building it out to become a well insulated work/cargo only van.

If I can answer any questions you may have please feel free to ask. As already said though once all that gingerbread is removed you have a bare van, not unlike one ordered just to haul things.

In my perfect world I'd have found an extended body E350 with the raised roof and taller rear doors but without the body side glass. Because those are almost never available I had to go with the full glass version, this particular van being in good enough condition for its final intended use.
Ahhhaaaa..... These are the answers I was looking for a couple of my 1000 questions!
Thanks for the facts !
** No BS, No Stories, No Disappointments **
Headin' Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #16

Quote:
My answer would be maybe. Colorado Camper Van May be able to remove the existing fiberglass top and install one of their tops. Give them a call to find out. Sportsmobile would not be able to do it.
True, CCV can and will remove that type of hardtop and replace or make it iin to a pop top. It's the same basic top you have on your van. I was answering his query of adding a pop top to that top. Can't be done really, not flat enough for any type of pop top.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #17

Please remember that this is just my personal opinion.

I've always liked the looks of the Ford vans. I'd like to own one but when it came time to buy a used van, I settled on a Chevy 5.0L Express cargo van. No frills and no interior to speak of because I use it strictly for towing and fishing equipment.

The reason I bought a Chevy is that starting in the late 1990s to about 2008, Ford had that issue with the exploding spark plugs. I'm also not a fan of the twin I-beam suspension.

I looked around for a used 2009 or newer model Ford van because I heard that's when Ford redesigned the spark plug issue. I noticed prices for used 2009 and newer Ford vans were dramatically higher than 2008 and previous years. Something to think about.

This is not a Ford verses Chevy thing. I have owned many of each brand before.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #18

What's Behind All the Plastic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldguy View Post
The reason I bought a Chevy is that starting in the late 1990s to about 2008, Ford had that issue with the exploding spark plugs.

If this is the main reason you went Chevy, then you need to do more research about this issue, as your facts are a bit off, at least as relates to the E-vans.

I'm not saying the GM vans aren't nice. They are a great option as a platform.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #19
Orv

Garage
Hey now, twin I-beam is, uh...well, it's sturdy. And good for weirding out car guys who live in the world of double-wishbones and MacPherson struts.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If this is the main reason you went Chevy, then you need to do more research about this issue, as your facts are a bit off, at least as relates to the E-vans.

I'm not saying the GM vans aren't nice. They are a great option as a platform.

I actually attended an off road exhibit last year in search of a front end lift kit for my Express van. I talked to an owner of a somewhat local off road shop and he had a really nice Ford van with the V10 motor. I asked if he had any issues with the spark plug and he said that he blew one and had 9 more to go. I'm an old phart on a fixed income so I'm not taking any chances. I hear it's an expensive fix.

I did drive a bunch of Ford vans during my working career. Let's just say I had some weird experiences.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote