Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeezersDad View Post
Yikes! That’s pricey.
I might consider trying five of these (for half the cost).
Anbull 5KW Diesel Air Heater,12V All in One Kit Diesel Heater with Remote Control and LCD Display for RV Trucks Boat Car Trailer,Home,Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKV1HBS..._6lgYDbS5SFG1H

"Remote Control: With the equiped remote control, you can control this diesel air heater from 50 miles of range."

Wow, that's a really powerful keychain remote!

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #12

I ended up ordering a chinese knock off heater to experiment with, unfortunately it won't arrive in time for our trip so I will be still renting one the portable units.

I spoke with the installer and the pricing is pretty much the same, you just need to decide if you want to pay for the labour to install it in your van or to make a portable unit. Unless of course you are handy and can do it yourself. I will probably have a go at making my own portable unit before I start drilling holes in my van.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #13
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
I ended up ordering a chinese knock off heater to experiment with, unfortunately it won't arrive in time for our trip so I will be still renting one the portable units.

I spoke with the installer and the pricing is pretty much the same, you just need to decide if you want to pay for the labour to install it in your van or to make a portable unit. Unless of course you are handy and can do it yourself. I will probably have a go at making my own portable unit before I start drilling holes in my van.
I've bench tested a Chinese heater for a year and now have them made for us at CCV as an alternative to an Espar D2. We've done roughly 30 heaters since and they work just as good as any of the Espar, planar or Webasto and half the install price. I feel you made a great decision in getting a knock of...
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I've bench tested a Chinese heater for a year and now have them made for us at CCV as an alternative to an Espar D2. We've done roughly 30 heaters since and they work just as good as any of the Espar, planar or Webasto and half the install price. I feel you made a great decision in getting a knock of...
Good to know, I think I may regret not getting the gas knock off that 1der mentioned down the road. I think I might go down that route as my build out continues and I have a firmer idea of my floor plan. Then I won't have to deal with diesel in a gas van, time will tell.

I was able to find it for 174 USD shipped, cheapest I could find off ebay and a local near me bought one for his RTT Trailer with good results.

Hoping I have the same luck!
Old 11-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #15

So I ended up not renting the Planar unit, my Chinese Diesel Furnace arrived a lot earlier than anticipated. It requires a bit of mcguyvering as it really isn't turn key out of the box as the exhaust pipe does not clear the legs of the unit, hence the unit is propped up. It is also propped up due to the poor placement of the fuel line for the tank.

Went down to -3C, and it was quite comfortable. I didn't really read the instructions, I accidentally set the heater for 33C. It burned through half a tank of Kerosene fairly quickly.

The next night, I set it for 26C instead, and filled the tank up completely with diesel. It was running for at least 9 hours on the tank and there was still a bit fuel left. My van is currently not insulated.

So far I think it's money well spent, its a good temporary solution until I finalize my layout. I will likely purchase the gas version knock off and permanently install it in the van for next winter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-3471.jpg   IMG-3472.jpg   IMG-3473.jpg   IMG-3475.jpg  
Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #16

I installed one of the chinese diesel heater last spring. Recently went camping where it got down in the 40s at night. Great, I can finally use my heater. Turned the heater on for 5 minutes and it was too warm already. I had every window open... may not be using this heater much here in SoCal.

I mounted mine under the sofa/bed. Diesel fuel tank on back bumper.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #17

That looks like quite the setup. Your van seems to be a bit bogged down in the photos, or is it just the angle of the picture? Where did you find snow? I haven't been camping in almost a month, and I'm thinking it's time to get out again, got any plans for another trip?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
I installed one of the chinese diesel heater last spring. Recently went camping where it got down in the 40s at night. Great, I can finally use my heater. Turned the heater on for 5 minutes and it was too warm already. I had every window open... may not be using this heater much here in SoCal.

I mounted mine under the sofa/bed. Diesel fuel tank on back bumper.
Yeah I need to figure out a good spot, I dislike having the mess with the fuel and bring that smell into my living space. When I get a rear swing out bumper I play to put the fuel tank if I am still running diesel behind one of the boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
That looks like quite the setup. Your van seems to be a bit bogged down in the photos, or is it just the angle of the picture? Where did you find snow? I haven't been camping in almost a month, and I'm thinking it's time to get out again, got any plans for another trip?
It's so nice having heat! While not turn key like pushing a button it's a definitely a must have for those chilly or wet nights. Might be the angle of the photo, my tires are aired down and that grass is fairly tall. We were about a hour north of Kelowna at about 4000 ft.

Nothing planned so far, but if we did we could probably only do something for 3 days over the weekend. We are going to South America in the Jan (flying). Let me know if you want to do something.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
MSD do you mind telling me which Chinese heater you purchased as there are a bunch of different knock offs on Ebay and am considering getting one.
Thanks
Roger
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #20
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
MSD do you mind telling me which Chinese heater you purchased as there are a bunch of different knock offs on Ebay and am considering getting one.
Thanks
Roger
We deal direct with a Chinese manufacture, but send me an PM and I will let you know what there seller name on Ebay is since they sell on Ebay and Amazon.

Cheers
Mark
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote