Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
MSD do you mind telling me which Chinese heater you purchased as there are a bunch of different knock offs on Ebay and am considering getting one.
Thanks
Roger
Just sent you a PM with the link so you should be good.

1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
I installed one of the chinese diesel heater last spring. Recently went camping where it got down in the 40s at night. Great, I can finally use my heater. Turned the heater on for 5 minutes and it was too warm already. I had every window open... may not be using this heater much here in SoCal.
I'm looking into getting one of these chinese heaters. From what I gather different models rate the max output at 2kw, 5kw, 8kw (don't know why they don't rate with BTUs). Word is on the FB discussion site about these is that the 2kw unit is the best one for econoline sized vans, the 5kw is too much unless set on low, then you may have sooting issues. The 2kw unit is best for our vans run on med - hi, plenty of heat.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Just sent you a PM with the link so you should be good.
The link is good thanks again,my next question would be are they rated for elevation use without additional parts as I live at 6000 and know there have been issues with some of these heaters at elevation?
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:32 AM   #24

What's the consensus on matching the furnace fuel type to your van's? Aside from the obvious "one fuel" benefits, does furnace performance vary by fuel enough to mess with two sources, or is there something else at play that I have not considered? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I'm looking into getting one of these chinese heaters. From what I gather different models rate the max output at 2kw, 5kw, 8kw (don't know why they don't rate with BTUs). Word is on the FB discussion site about these is that the 2kw unit is the best one for econoline sized vans, the 5kw is too much unless set on low, then you may have sooting issues. The 2kw unit is best for our vans run on med - hi, plenty of heat.
Yeah, mine is the 2KW. The challenge is these heaters never turn off, they just run on low when the desired temp is reached. Even on low, the 2KW is pumping out considerable heat. Should work good the few times we camp in really cold weather.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #26

I just bought a 5kW unit from Amazon. I've bench tested it for a short time and it's fired up and works. I plan to install it in my van soon.

The facebook page for these units has some 25,000 members. There is a huge percentage of folks from the UK, New Zealand, and other over seas. It's quite entertaining but useful as well.

There is a guy on youtube who breaks these heater down to a science. Search John McK 47. I think he has a 16 part series. Here is one:

Here is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My understanding is the 5kW is the Espar copy and the 2kW is the Webasto copy. Is that right, not quite sure but i did find out the 5kW is easier to maintenance, replace the glow plug, etc. Plus, from what i've found the 2kW versions are harder to come by, as the Chinese knock off versions.

I am worried it may be too hot. I've considered an option to waste some of the heat with a louver directing some of the heat outside. Seems wasteful thought right.

i'll post on my build page when i get it installed.

Justin
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #27

I have the 5KW and didn't it find it too hot but I had to leave my window open to snake the heat vent into my van. My van is also 50% windows though and currently not insulated. I also usually leave my maxx fan open for air circulation (fan is not running) The heater did stop the first time I used after a few hours, I wonder if there is a timer option?

I am wondering if I can upgrade the control unit with something like this:
https://planarheaters.com/product/cp...ntroller-pu27/

It has a timer, just not sure if it is compatible with the Chinese unit.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #28
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
I have the 5KW and didn't it find it too hot but I had to leave my window open to snake the heat vent into my van. My van is also 50% windows though and currently not insulated. I also usually leave my maxx fan open for air circulation (fan is not running) The heater did stop the first time I used after a few hours, I wonder if there is a timer option?

I am wondering if I can upgrade the control unit with something like this:
https://planarheaters.com/product/cp...ntroller-pu27/

It has a timer, just not sure if it is compatible with the Chinese unit.
It's probably not going to interface, Espars do not interface with our Knock off heaters. You'd be better off seeing if a digital knock off from a Chinese heater will work. You can get them on ebay or amazon for a lot less... can't hurt to spend $20 to see if it works - https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Truck-C...cAAOSw225deIwc
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
It's probably not going to interface, Espars do not interface with our Knock off heaters. You'd be better off seeing if a digital knock off from a Chinese heater will work. You can get them on ebay or amazon for a lot less... can't hurt to spend $20 to see if it works - https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Truck-C...cAAOSw225deIwc
I have one of those now that came with the unit. I probably just need to read the instructions.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #30

I am using the same controller that MSD has posted a link too. The programming code is 1688, this will let you change fueling and fan speed. You can set times for it to turn on and off. I had issues with my unit overheating and shutting down, so I just lowered the maximum full setting, now it's a 3.8Kish unit. I picked the 5K over the 2K because I felt my power consumption was more imported. the lowest setting draws only 1-1.5ahr after heat up cycle and the intake and exhaust for the hot air are much bigger so more air circulation.

I have had my Happy Buy heater running for a little over a year now and feel its time to start a new thread dedicated to these Chinese parking heaters. I will get something posted this weekend with my installation right up, and all my pros and conns for these units.

1kw=3412BTU
Attached Thumbnails
20190101_172121.jpg