Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Where to buy cabinets/appliances?

Just make sure that weight is factored in. RV and boat interior people are usually aware of this.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #12

Re: Where to buy cabinets/appliances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
There are a few different routes you could go. The first would be to go to an upfitter (SMB, Van Specialties, etc) and have them build the cabinet that you want to hold the exact things you want. Another option would be to either get something from IKEA or perhaps a vanity from a local re-store that you could make work. While this option would be pretty economical, you end up with something that is not exactly fit to the space and wind up eating up critical space that could be used for something else.

The other option of course is to build something yourself. You can always build something cheap and easy to make sure you like the configuration before refining too. While some homebuilt interiors are done VERY nicely, you have to be careful about just plunking in a lot of big boxes as you can waste interior space very quickly.

Thanks for your help rockbender. If I were to do install a cabinet, I would probably try to do it myself rather than have SMB or other company fit something in. I was hoping to find a resource online that sold RV cabinets or something that I would be able to make work.
I have seen some tastefully modded and fitted vanities/cabinets from box stores. It will cost A LOT to have someone build some, plus the travel if you aren't near a van specific shop. I would just take rockbender's advice and wade through the homebuild section for awhile. Many of us, like myself, can just about tell you the layout of almost every van listed there, so if you can tell us a little more specifically what you're aiming for, we may can shortcut you to some examples.
For instance, is this the kind of front cabinet you are looking for?

Thank you everyone for your input on this. This picture is pretty much what I was thinking, except instead of a stove, I would want a fridge instead. I was thinking I would use a butane single stove if I ever need to heat something up inside, but would most likely get a 2 burner camping stove to be used outside 99% of the time.

I don't even have a SMB yet but I'm trying to get some research done before I purchase one. Does anyone have any input on the one I linked? Its a pretty bare bones one, but as I said in my first post, I wouldn't mind having the space so I can use the van for other things besides camping.