Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

Re: Which Size Propex Propane Heater?

Are you sure SMB installed the Propex correctly, i.e. without shortening the combustion inlet and outlet tubes?

Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #12

Thanks for all the suggestions and discussions to this point. As much as I wanted to get the larger Propex HS2800 (9600 BUT/hr), I ended up going with the smaller HS2000 (6500 BTU/hr). The reason was simply that I had to direct the installation from afar, and the larger one was such a close fit under the bench seat, I did not want to take a chance it would not fit (from Seattle I purchased the heater from Van Cafe in CA, sent it to Van Specialties in OR where the van was having work done on it). It seems the hardest thing about customizing is making sure things go as planned---I have been burned too many times!

After much advice from the UK factory, it was installed with the stock intake hose, but with a 5 ft. exhaust hose, which is quite a bit longer than the installation manual says is o.k. The factory said 55" was o.k., so I got Van Specialties a little longer 5' hose (which I was able to get at Sure Marine in Seattle) just in case, but they just used it as is, so 5' it is. Seems to work fine. From my own calculations and other contributions in this thread, this heater should be fairly good for winter camping, but we do have a fixed top, and not the penthouse. If you are sure it will fit, I think the HS2800 is the way to go for that extra margin of safety.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Thanks for all the suggestions and discussions to this point. As much as I wanted to get the larger Propex HS2800 (9600 BUT/hr), I ended up going with the smaller HS2000 (6500 BTU/hr). The reason was simply that I had to direct the installation from afar, and the larger one was such a close fit under the bench seat, I did not want to take a chance it would not fit (from Seattle I purchased the heater from Van Cafe in CA, sent it to Van Specialties in OR where the van was having work done on it). It seems the hardest thing about customizing is making sure things go as planned---I have been burned too many times!

After much advice from the UK factory, it was installed with the stock intake hose, but with a 5 ft. exhaust hose, which is quite a bit longer than the installation manual says is o.k. The factory said 55" was o.k., so I got Van Specialties a little longer 5' hose (which I was able to get at Sure Marine in Seattle) just in case, but they just used it as is, so 5' it is. Seems to work fine. From my own calculations and other contributions in this thread, this heater should be fairly good for winter camping, but we do have a fixed top, and not the penthouse. If you are sure it will fit, I think the HS2800 is the way to go for that extra margin of safety.

let us know how it worked and pictures
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #14

Okey Dokey, as requested here are some more details of the install for the Propex HS2000 Heater. It was installed by Van Specialties in Portland. The overall install was fairly good if you did not know I gave them very detailed instructions that they did not follow.

The pictures below show the heater and vents below the EB50 bench seat/bed. I told them to install the heater sideways between the fresh water tank and wheel well on the drivers side. That way it would be ahead of the rear axle. I was saving the location behind the axle under the van for a generator if I ever chose to install an on-board one. Instead they mounted it fore/aft, so that was botched.

They were also supposed to use the upper large vent shown in the picture to route hot air into the living space and have no duct for return air so warmed air would circulate back into areas where plumbing is to help keeping pipes from freezing during winter camping. That "vent" was actually put there to cover the hole made by the solar display panel that SMB chose to install there. What a stupid idea that was as you could not read the valuable charging/battery condition information without putting your head between your legs and reading it upside down or crawling on your hands and knees---I made them move it to the wall on the passenger side---one of the horrors discovered on picking up the van (Indiana build). Getting back to the heater install, Van Specialties ignored everything about venting and made TWO more holes, completely ignoring my directions for how return air got to the furnace. I have since blocked the right most vent and removed the ducting between the furnace and that vent to get the recirculation the way I wanted it. The third picture above shows the thermostat mounted where it can be reached reasonably easily while still in bed! I did that part of the install as I was not sure where I wanted it and had them just put the thermostat on the seat.

The last picture above shows the small tail pipe sticking out below the fender. That was also done differently than told! A weird thing about the Propex is that the inlet and exhaust tubes have limits on their length and come with the heater as two 75 cm lengths. Basically both can be lengthened, but the total length of both is supposed to be less than 200 cm. Well Van Specialties told me after they drilled the holes through the floor that they would not run the exhaust to a point in front of the rear wheel as they thought that was too close to a window. I get their point, but that necessitated getting approval from the factory in the UK to use 5 ft (150 cm) to get it behind the rear wheel. All ended o.k. with the inlet 75 cm and the outlet 150 cm. I was able to get the longer exhaust at Sure Marine in Seattle (where I live) and bring it down to them to have it put on at delivery. [EDITED 3/20/2011]: The main message here is that you want to run the exhaust tube in a way that does not bring CO into the van---using the stock 75 cm tube makes that very difficult to do.

There are some other pictures in my Gallery that show the inlet/exhaust pipes for combustion air under the van if anyone is interested. [EDITED 3/20/2011]: When I got under IT to take these pictures I saw that the intake tube rubs against the brake line---not good! I will be wrapping the line with some protection soon. Here are the pictures I indicated were in my Gallery:
Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #15

would you recommend van specialties to do future work?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #16

Roonie, this reply to your question takes us out of Propex Heater issues, but here goes. Van Specialties saved my butt by doing almost $2000 of rework on my SMB build after not being able to find anyone in Seattle that would take on the job nor being able to go all the way back to SMB. Their skills seem pretty good based on my interactions with them. They seem to be focused on higher quality work/parts than SMB. For example, all their cabinetry is made to be taken out in units when necessary, i.e. no L-brackets!, and I was also impressed with the finish work on their electrical installs that seem to have repair/future mods in mind. Closer to how boats are built might describe it better(?).

What irks me most after an entire year of 1) my design efforts (my build document was 29 pages), 2) the SMB build with the problems that came up along the way and 3) the headaches afterward getting the vehicle both repaired and modified to get closer to what I asked for in the first place is how difficult it is to get things done the way you asked for them to be done. Like how hard is it to read the clients requests, ask questions if there is any doubt about what is asking for and ONLY THEN start the work?

The last step of my initial vision, i.e. a 4x4 conversion, has been put on hold. I am so burned out dealing with the process I rather just learn by experience if the limitations of a 4x2 LSD system warrant going any further, i.e. for now just tag along to 4x4's that have winches! So I just put on some good dirt-diggin' tires onto the stock wheels and am going for it! I came very close to pressing the button to have the 4x4 done by Quad Van, but felt there was a strong possibility it might not be a pretty process.

I never thought it would be as difficult as it turned out to be, but I now feel very close to realizing what I initially wanted and am quite happy with the vehicle (wife too)! Maybe there is no better way to do it. But if I knew what I know now I would have looked for a used one that had an owner that would not stop until things were right and not, for example, a sheik who mail-ordered his!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #17

Sorry you have had to deal with so many issues with your build.

But, I don't think that should deter you from dealing with QuadVan. I've looked at their work, impressed by the workmanship and detail of the work, heard nothing but good things about them. If I were doing a 4x4 (is it a coincidence that shift 4 = $: $X$) today, it would be QuadVan doing the work.

A 4x4 conversion is fairly straightforward with limited options. Not alot of ways to go wrong.

- Manual transfercase or shift on the fly
- Final drive ratio
- ?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #18

John's great! But he does not run the business side of the operation. I've done my research and there are folks out there that are not happy with the result even though I agree that most experiences there seem to be positive. But you throw in the price it takes to get their 4x4 system and you really want to be sure you will like the result and get what you think your are getting. . .
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #19

Folks: Everyone I know or have heard from is happy with the Quadvan conversion itself which is their main concentration.
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #20

I second and third the QuadVan vote. I have been driving the new to me Quadvan every day for 3 weeks and it is far better in every way to the Quigley sitting in my driveway. Once the Quadvan is finished inside I will most likely be selling the Quigley. Both are 2006 models.

Picked the van up from them as a consignment from a previous customer. It's been great so far and so was the experience with them.

Thanks for the Propex info as I am leaning that way myself.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote