Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #21

Re: Which Size Propex Propane Heater?

I had great experience with both John and Blaine. It's one thing to cite specifics, another to say "folks are not happy," although I suppose you could make that statement about anything , really.

They did good work for me, detailed what the costs would be, kept to their estimates, delivered it on time and, most importantly, have stood by their work. I have been back to Portland a couple of times since then and they took me in, made adjustments, checked things out, and only charged me when they actually installed something new that I asked for.

I wish I could get that kind of service elsewhere.

My only gripe is that I cannot always rouse someone on the phone instantly, but they always get back to me. I love those guys.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #22

Glad you are happy. And you are right, I should not have mentioned hearsay from other folks I talked to while doing research on who to go with. So to be more specific about my experience with QV, I just could not get past Blaine. Maybe it was simply the lack of this responsiveness that you mentioned you experienced. Maybe I was the jerk, or maybe I just did not want 4x4 bad enough. But he made it pretty difficult to get prices for various packages I was considering and there was also quite a vagueness regarding whether they would warranty the job for three years on what they define a new vehicle or one year as a used one. I had only 3000 miles on mine, just that to get from SMB to home. It was like pulling teeth for a number of weeks with him after I had spent an entire day with John previously, during which time I gained huge confidence that John knows his stuff. Maybe Blaine thought I owned him something for spending that much time with John (although they were certainly not busy that day!). Who knows.

The answer is probably more told by seeing that after another year of ownership since then, I still don't have 4x4 and don't miss it (yet). I have been places that cause my knuckles to go white, but with good tires, raised front and rear with springs at a local shop (poor boy version of Deaver Springs in the rear I guess) and limited slip, I AM having fun. Oh, another specific thing to mention about QV is they offered nothing but blocks and shocks in the rear. My van "only" weighs 10k lbs (still over GVW) but with both the front and rear about 30% stiffer, has made a great difference on the open road even with the extra height and still not noticeably worse on rough roads---something I would not have gotten with what QV offered unless they did more at least in the rear. To spend all that money for their conversion and not have that was a disappointing aspect I considered at the time. Before thinking 4x4 again, I still need compressor, then a winch and perhaps after I use it a few times I will imagine the thrill of 4x4...or maybe move on to a true expedition vehicle... Oh wait, I am seriously thinking about going down to QV to get their underfloor box and tire carrier, items that appear to me to be superior to SMB's and Aluminess', respectively!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #23

Garage

I finally got the Propex HS2000 installed and we used it on a recent trip. We have an RB with a 24" bubble top and minimal windows. The temperatures were in the 30's, with one night below freezing. The heater was able to keep the van comfortable inside, but it sure seemed to run a lot. It was much quieter than the Suburban we had in a previous van.

We went with the smaller heater because it fit into the space behind the passenger wheel well.