Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #11

Does the MicroAir soft starter not only help in starting the AC compressor but also keep the Starcool AC compressor running normally without the overload indicator light coming on?

geotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #12

Garage
We have a rooftop Dometic AC unit on Vandemic. It is a 15000 BTU unit (overkill IMO) and requires 3500 W; 28 Amps (according to the specs for the model) to operate it. It will run for about 2 hours using our Magnum 2800W inverter/ 360 Amp LiFePO4 battery bank. It also works on 30 amp shore power, but not 15 amp. I did try it with a Micro-air Easy Start and 15 amp 110 => no go, but the start up amps dropped from ~30 to 16. To make a long story short, I eventually used two Yamaha 2000i SV2 generators (44# each) with a piggyback sidewinder plug to provide 30 amps to the rig and it works fine (I already owned one Yamaha 2000). I decided not to purchase a larger generator because of the weight to lug a 3000 or 3500 W generator around (90-100#). One Yamaha fits in the Deluxe box on the rear bumper and the other one is in the “garage” under the platform bed.
We live in Arizona and camped in the high country near Flagstaff (8600 ft) multiple times this summer to get out of the Phoenix heat. We took the set up once when the local weather forecast stated that Flagstaff was going be in the high 90’s during the day. However, we never used it
We’re planning a trip to the east coast next summer and likely will use the AC then. In the meantime, the generators will live at home.
Attached Thumbnails
F5AE07A4-5361-4F1A-9FA0-A7040590C8BD.jpg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #13

I had a 2012 SMB with an Onan 2.8 gen built-in. It ran the StarCool everything else like the microwave and battery charger all at the same time. What is the continuous output on the Honda 3000?
Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #14

There is a surge capacity that the generator must be able to provide. As stated above, there are ways around it.
I have 2 Honda 2000's that are wired in series to power an AC unit in a small trailer.
And the hotter it is outside the more amp draw on the system as the pressures inside the AC unit are higher.
The AC unit should say what the recommended gen size should be. I have had several RV's, depending on the BTU capacity of the AC Unit will determine the needed wattage.
fyrftr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #15

Thumbs up

I originally posted about having the problem running my Starcool AC with my Honda EU3000is generator. After pursuing many different possible solutions to the problem, it turns out that the generator carburetor needed a good cleaning. Sportsmobile Austin suggested the Honda generator should be adequate to run the AC by just plugging in the generator directly into the Sportsmobile.

So, I took out the generator carburetor, tookj it apart. and ggve it a good cleaning with carburetor cleaner. That fixed the problem. I did not have to replace any parts. The AC runs fine now with the Honda EU3000is generator. The following YouTube link was most helpful in dismantling and reinstalling the carburetor.

geotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #16

Check out a RV "Soft Start" A/C starter. Allows you to start and run your A/C with less juice from your generator on initial startup.

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote