Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

My window

This is the window I have:

FW632RS - CRL 'All-Glass' Look 41-1/4" x 25-3/4" Crank Out Van Window

Vanwindowsdirect.com “offered” to sell me a replacement gearbox operator for it for $95 (That includes tax and shipping ). Seems outrageously high to me so I will keep looking.

But they did provide this info on replacing it:
Both side of torsion bar has two screws that attach the bar to the main outer frame. Trim Ring must be removed to get to these screws (hence it being easier just completely removing from van). Als you may need to remove screw holding torsion spring to allow for better movement. Once loose bar will slide out of gearbox and gearbox can beromved from window. Then you can put new box in place slide torsion bar in place and re-attach hardware.

2008 Sprinter RB50 PH top
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
So, perhaps you have a different design? Could you please explain how you replaced YOUR stripped out shaft? There seem to be several reports of folks having made repairs with out removal of the window, but no one has been able to explain how they did this. Thanks.............
Different design? Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I think all participants in this thread have the same CL Laurence window. When the knob on my mechanism began to turn without opening the window, I removed the screw in the center of the knob, removed it and then the cast metal 2" shaft extender. I found that the shaft was rotating on the splined post protruding from the window frame. The pot metal is crap and it's internal splines were compromised. So a replacement shaft extender fixed my problem. Apparently others here may be having a problem with the mechanism inside the window frame. I can not offer up any advice there.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Different design? Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I think all participants in this thread have the same CL Laurence window. When the knob on my mechanism began to turn without opening the window, I removed the screw in the center of the knob, removed it and then the cast metal 2" shaft extender.
What I'm unclear on is how you removed the 2" shaft extender. I removed the screw in the center of the shaft and removed the knob, but the shaft seems to be fixed in the gear box and won't budge. I haven't tried using a lot of force for fear of breaking something, but if it does come out without disassembling the window, I'd like to know that before applying additional force. Thanks..............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #14

Garage
I see what you mean. The extender is simply a slide fit over the spline and the screw through the knob holds the whole mess together. The spline is only about 1/2" long out from from the window frame. There is no other retaining method. Perhaps the splines have become worn and jammed. I would suggest to pull harder. Perhaps a small wedge (like a sharp screwdriver or small chisel) at the joint to get it going. Maybe grab the extender from the side with vice grips to rotate it slightly to loosen it and then the pull out?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #15

I have an even different issue in the the end of the screw has broken off inside the shaft. The knob comes off easily if I am not paying attention and holding it in place to open/close window. I'll just wait till the rest of the mechanism goes out and then do the total repair.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
I see what you mean. The extender is simply a slide fit over the spline and the screw through the knob holds the whole mess together. The spline is only about 1/2" long out from from the window frame. There is no other retaining method. Perhaps the splines have become worn and jammed. I would suggest to pull harder. Perhaps a small wedge (like a sharp screwdriver or small chisel) at the joint to get it going. Maybe grab the extender from the side with vice grips to rotate it slightly to loosen it and then the pull out?

If you are talking about pulling the 1/2” spline that comes out from the window frame (actually the gearbox), I do not think that is removable because it is part of the gearbox. To remove/replace it, you have to remove/replace the gearbox. Here is troubleshooting from one of the folks I contacted... it’s kinda garbled but easy to get the gist...
On Monday, November 11, 2019, 4:32 PM, vanwindowsdirect.com@gmail.com wrote:

Have you removed the handle to see if its just the handle or the mechanism itself? If not remove handle simply by removing the single screw then put handle straight off wrap a cloth around metal spin to not damage teeth use a plier and turn if window works properly you will only need the replacement plastic handle , if not you will then require new gear box.

In my case, when I remove the screw/knob/handle, I can twist the 1/2” spline that comes from the gearbox with my fingers and it just spins in place (no window open).

Old 11-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Vanwindowsdirect.com “offered” to sell me a replacement gearbox operator for it for $95 (That includes tax and shipping ). Seems outrageously high to me so I will keep looking.
I contacted Sportsmobile West for a replacement gearbox and they [also] quoted me about $95. I am not ready to fork out that much yet so will keep researching.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
If you are talking about pulling the 1/2” spline that comes out from the window frame (actually the gearbox), I do not think that is removable because it is part of the gearbox. To remove/replace it, you have to remove/replace the gearbox. Here is troubleshooting from one of the folks I contacted... it’s kinda garbled but easy to get the gist...
On Monday, November 11, 2019, 4:32 PM, vanwindowsdirect.com@gmail.com wrote:

Have you removed the handle to see if its just the handle or the mechanism itself? If not remove handle simply by removing the single screw then put handle straight off wrap a cloth around metal spin to not damage teeth use a plier and turn if window works properly you will only need the replacement plastic handle , if not you will then require new gear box.

In my case, when I remove the screw/knob/handle, I can twist the 1/2” spline that comes from the gearbox with my fingers and it just spins in place (no window open).
Thought I made it pretty clear that I was talking about removing the extender only.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Thought I made it pretty clear that I was talking about removing the extender only.
yeah, but I think there may be confusion on what is meant by shaft extender since artictraveler referred to it as coming out of the gearbox:

“shaft seems to be fixed in the gear box and won't budge”

Just trying to make sure we are all on the same page.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #20

On the window I have and originally posted on, there are only 2 parts that make up the shaft mechanism... the knob/screw/shaft combo that is female on the window side and the gear box shaft that is the male side of the spline function (ie, fits into part 1). Those 2 parts come apart easily and I do not have any 2” extender piece in between those 2. So perhaps there are different configurations out there...???