Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #21

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm now clear that the replacement shaft does not extend all the way into the gear box, and the problem with mine is internal to the gear box. Somehow, I had gotten the impression you could remove the shaft that enters the gearbox without removing the window, but alas it's not to be.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #22

Hi folks, thought I'd share my repair experience. After reviewing multiple threads and some tinkering in my awning window on my 2001 E250 SMB, it became clear that the Hehr "mini operator" mechanism needed to be replaced.

Thank you @Hobotech for this great video for the replacement steps:

He got a 3rd party replacement from ebay and linked a now-dead amazon link. There are a number of various replacement mechanisms out on Amazon and other places for under 10 bucks, but I wanted the same OEM Hehr replacement, and found one online for $25. Hehr part number is 008-192 for my installation, which is same installation as @Hobotech on his Roadtrek above, just the opposite side of the window. If your mini operator is on the same side of the window as as his, part number would be 008-191.

Did a dry run to take out the mini operator mechanism via the above video, surprisingly easy. Then ordered the part and it was about a 15 minute job to replace.

Now my vent/awning window works like new!
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #23

Excellent video, thanks...............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #24
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Window mechanism stripped??

Ok, I just tackled the stripped window crank box project. Just to be clear, since there’s several issues people are having, my gear box was stripped, not the crank handle. In the end, it really wasn’t too bad and everything went back together without any issues! For once!
Part number from CR Lawrence-
GBOX46R for awning window FW904RS that many of us have in our SMB built Econolines, this gear box part # also cross references the same part used in Sprinter vans FW620 window. Thank you Ray (again!) for ordering and making sure we were getting the right part from Fiamma.
I did have to remove the window entirely from the van to be able to access the screws that held the gear box and the bar in place on either side of the window
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2982.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	33504

Name:	IMG_2983.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	33505
Next was backing the screw out that held the spring in place and removing it from where it hooked around the crank arm

Name:	IMG_2984.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	33506
This allowed the bar, crank box and crank arms to be pulled out enough to be able to access the gear box

Name:	IMG_2985.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	33507
New gear box installed and the spring put back in place. I just had to make sure the gear box was in the right position to allow for full movement of the awning window, pretty straight forward, there’s 2 slots on the bar that fit into the gear box.

Name:	IMG_2986.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	33508
Tool of choice for reaching those tight spaces!

Name:	IMG_2988.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	33509
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #25

Awesome write up Rick!! Not bad for 17 years of use???

I am glad your recent build left you room to do the maintenance on this! I cannot imagine the builds that take place without thinking of down the road maintenance accessibility

If anyone needs CR Laurence stuff, ping me .
Old 01-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #26

Garage
Well, crap, I didn’t know you were slinging CRL parts now Ray.

I’m undertaking the same task as Rick, already sourced the gearbox from CRL/DK Hardware (they claimed it had never been ordered before, which I found odd). I was lead to believe this could be done with the window installed but once I got the gearbox and looked closer at the existing window that clearly isn’t the case, which lead me here before I yanked the window out.

I’m curious as to what is holding the gearbox in place? From the first picture Rick shows, it almost looks like there are screw’s from the outside of the frame, and looking at mine in place would seem to confirm that. However, the replacement gearbox doesn’t have any threads in the mounting holes, do the holes have threads in the existing box unless they only partially threaded the thru hole. It also came with ONE rivet that isn’t long enough to go through the gearbox and I can’t figure out what it is for. Any insights from the crowd who have tackled this before?

I’m trying to have everything in place before I remove the window; it took almost a month to get the gearbox supposedly because of all the supply issues these days and I’d hate to have a gapping hole in the side of my van waiting another month to chase down more parts…
Old 01-18-2022, 04:41 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Not bad for 17 years of use???
I only got FIVE! I hope this isn’t indicative of them cheaping out on these things…
Old 01-18-2022, 08:37 PM   #28
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yes, I think the gearboxes have threaded holes for the screws, is it possible you got the wrong one? I sort of recall the rivet that came with the new box, not sure what it’s for, but I didn’t use it. I ordered 2 gear boxes, only needed to replace one, I will see if I can dig it up to take a look at the threads.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:32 AM   #29

Garage
Well, here’s hoping somebody has a source for these window gearboxes. It took five months to get time to do the silly thing (working for a living is over rated) and after getting the window out and the old gearbox removed… it’s the wrong one. CRL gave me the PN GBOX46R, which they directed me to DK Hardware to purchase ($45 plus $16 shipping if anybody is curious). No PN on the part so don’t know if they messed up or if CRL did. Gearbox on the left is the one I need, the right is what they sent. But, since they made a big production out of this being a “special order” it is highly unlikely I will be able to return it. I could modify the window frame to use the new part, but it would put the crank lower which would make it interfere with the galley counter. Only thing I’ve been able to find is this on Amazon but it’s out of stock with no fulfillment date: https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Pr...rnFromLogin=1&

Anybody have any other sources?
Attached Thumbnails
CCA47F1A-339E-46CC-B487-C833CE9C61BB.jpg  
Old 05-28-2022, 08:46 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Well, here’s hoping somebody has a source for these window gearboxes. Itcounter.

Anybody have any other sources?
Sorry to hear about all the issues.

Try Ray, member name 1der.