Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
rnj

Re: Windshield/Cab Curtains

If you closely at the 1st picture in my gallery you can see my SMB windshield cover it's gray. The rear view mirror is on the other side of the cover, you are just seeing the shadow from the sun shining through. Farther in my gallery you will see a picture of passenger door with cover down & cover up, you can also see snap location on the end. Mine is just single layer of fabric and as you you can see it doesn't block light. I put a windshield shade up also.

I got 2 sets of interior window shades from JC Whitney for my mini van. They weren't the quality I expected, they looked to be made from used fabric as they had holes from previous stitching along the bottom edge. I could have made them alot cheaper going to a fabric store buying some fabric and adding suction cups. The suction cups seemed to work, only used them once and they stayed up but then got the SMB.

Randy

Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA
Take a look at Fancher's too: http://fanchers.com/255/Ford%20Windshield%20Cover.htm

Though his description says he only makes them for the old style mirrors, he told me he can make them for trailer tow mirrors too, but that the seal around the mirror is not as good. He had a few ideas for improving it when I talked to him a few months ago, but I have decided to hold off on these for now. If you wanted to go all out and get the Grande version, it looks like it would cost around $215.00.

Steve in L.A.

I had a francher on my Westy
very well made
great piece of gear

however, for me, it was sometimes a wet and dirty piece of gear to be stowed...
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #13

I'm with you on this one Bill. SMB West sold us a Francher and the day we arrived to pick up the van we took one look at that and decided no way, not trying to stow it after using it in rainy forests of the northwest. Got $92 credit back on it.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #14

Hi,

I used this:

http://www.coversuperstore.com/SunShiel ... dge-45154/

but fitted for my Ford E350. The part number is 45156. It mounts outside and around your mirrors so it doesn't get in the way of the dash. You can still open both doors. People can't see in nor can you see out. It does let some light come in/out. There's another version of this made by Addco (I think) but isn't the sunshield material. Its the type of vinyl you see on tire covers for parked RVs in storage. That one does a better job of blocking out the light.

Hope this helps™,
Ray + my lovely wife + our 3 kids
2006 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #15

Windshield/Cab Curtains

My rig came with 5 male snaps
Rear top passenger and driver
Front top passenger and driver
One center

Wife sewed a curtain to cover
Lowes had snap kit
Works great
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
My rig came with 5 male snaps
Mine has 7, with the extras between the front corners and center.

Mine also has 5 on the bulkhead behind the front seats that are for hanging the same curtain between the cab and interior. It's useful if I don't want to heat the cab from the cabin, for a little more stealth when camping, or if I need an isolated space for porta potti privacy or dressing. The nice thing is it supports the same curtain, so I only need one for dual purposes.