Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

Re: Yeti coolers, preferred size for SMBs

As far as ice itself goes, in my cooler I'm a big fan of block ice and an ice pick. The block takes up space but will last much longer than chip, both in the cooler and in the cocktail.
Block surrounded by beers buried in ice-picked chip is how my cooler starts off. Depending on the length of the trip I'll often have some block left over when I get home. Keeps fillets cold but I'd love to be able to get them frozen.
I've heard a small 110 chest freezer paired wi a Honda generator is ideal for longer stays on the beach, but I'm going to need a buddy with a pickup bed along for the trip if I'm going to go that route...

-Mark

Old 09-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #12

What gets me is how hard it is to find real blocks in the US anymore. All of the ones I've seen in the past 5 years or so have been "fake blocks" (a block made of a bunch of ice chips/cubes pressed into a block shape). They are still better than a bag of cubes, but nowhere near as good as a real block
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
What gets me is how hard it is to find real blocks in the US anymore. All of the ones I've seen in the past 5 years or so have been "fake blocks" (a block made of a bunch of ice chips/cubes pressed into a block shape). They are still better than a bag of cubes, but nowhere near as good as a real block
Yeah, back in the 60's we had an ice house in town. We would go camping and a block of that super clear ice would last for a week or longer in an old Coleman ice chest. We started freezing milk cartons and had OK results but those huge Ice blocks lasted forever it seemed.

I've thought of these things... waterless but would have to be washed. Might be an expensive solution.

Steel ice cubes

Wish they were bigger. I figure 3 per drink and I'd probably suck down 6+ drinks in a night. I just bet they don't do as good as a job as ice. Cool looking though. The problem is I still need ice for my Yeti and those are not an option for that.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #14

Ah, the memories of good, clear as glass, real ice blocks! When I traveled in Central America, there was always some sort of ice house or ice plant nearby. In smaller towns, you'd walk in to a relatively tiny hut and inside, it would be one big, clear block of ice! Say what you want, out comes the saw, and away you go

Unless you can freeze your own blocks at home (i.e. going out and back on shorter trips), it's a conundrum.

For drinks, I have really grown attached to the "one big cube" I mentioned above, made in something like a small yogurt container (find whatever has sloped sides and fits your typical glass once it is a cube). I can fit one or two of these "molds" in even my tiny freezer and they last forever in drinks vs. multiple small individual cubes. I, too, considered the "permanent" ice cubes but also rejected them because who wants to have to add "ice cubes" to the dirty dishes pile? (Not me.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #15

We carry a YETI 45 & a 35. Wanted the 50, but opted for the 45 as it is heavy enough. Both fit behind our seats and at night the 45 goes on the counter above the microwave and the 35 on the swiveled passenger seat. Love them both.
garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #16

Garage

We just got the Yeti 45 and it's heavy as hell when it's got 3 blocks of "real" ice, but well worth it. I notice the material really grabs whatever it's sitting on, too, so it slides around the back of a pickup a lot less than other coolers; conversely, harder to slide it around when you want to slide it! Just got back from a hunting trip and the blocks in it lasted well over a week. I used it to store ice for my other coolers and transferred food to it as it got more room.

By the way, if you're ever passing through Green River, Utah and want the "good" "real" ice, the Silver Eagle market on the south side of the highway east end of town has it. Well worth it.
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp
We carry a YETI 45 & a 35. Wanted the 50, but opted for the 45 as it is heavy enough. Both fit behind our seats and at night the 45 goes on the counter above the microwave and the 35 on the swiveled passenger seat. Love them both.
How many beers can one realistically expect to fit in a 35? One of our closets would fit a 35 perfectly. Went to look at them at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day but they didn't have any 35's on display.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp
How many beers can one realistically expect to fit in a 35? One of our closets would fit a 35 perfectly. Went to look at them at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day but they didn't have any 35's on display.
The good news is there are many quality beers that you can now find in cans, making packing much easier. Not the same as drinking from a bottle IMO, but a worthy compromise.

Herb
Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

gcvt, depends on how much ice you put in. Quality or quantity.
garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Went to look at them at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day but they didn't have any 35's on display.
Central Hardware has all sizes on display right as you walk in the door.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote