Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #51

Did you ever figure out the dimensions that work for the GM/Chevy cargo vans? I see a couple posts about them in this thread but no conclusions. I have an Aluminess rear bumper with tire carrier being built and would like to do something with the space left by the spare tire. This looks like a perfect option!

If you have not figured out the Chevy dimensions yet, I can go pull my spare tire out and measure...thx!

Old 09-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #52

I haven’t come up with specific Chevy dimensions. If you figure out what space is available I can give you a quote for any specific size you need.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #53

possibility of using box in EB van but mid-van instead of at the spare tire

Hello, I have an 05 EB V10 passenger van.

I've been through the posts here over the years and was wondering if you or anyone who's purchased these boxes have installed them in front of the differential (although I get that the drive shaft would be a problem) or off to the sides of the chassis rails by the side barn doors to be able to store 1 or 2 group 31 aux batteries? I have a couple of the ford factory battery boxes lashed to my passenger side chassis rail, but am limited in the size of them to the group 65 batteries which are only like 60 65% of Ah of a Group 31 battery. Several folks have posted about modifying the factory boxes with angle iron and bunch of welding to create one combined box that can hold 2 Group 31s on their sides, but they are still fully exposed to the elements, which for a Lithium battery is not always good in the cold.

I understand that the Aluminum one will conduct the cold as well into the box, but I could insulate the box on the outside or the inside to minimize that.

So in wrapping up, has anyone mounted these boxes further up in the body of the van and/or used them for battery boxes?

Thanks for your time.

Frank
fddjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #54

Hi Frank,

If you provide a line drawing with box dimensions, wall thickness, and mounting tabs that you need I can work up a quote for you. It’s not too difficult to make custom sized boxes like this.

Thanks for the interest.

Sam
Old 09-21-2021, 09:57 PM   #55

Hi
I’m
Interested I getting a box for a 2009 Chevy Express van. Do you have that van box figured out yet?

If not I can provide you with dimensions

Thanks
Old 09-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #56

I went under my Chevy Express van and noticed some metal cross members attached to the frame that hold the spare tire mechanism up. I did not feel like cutting through all this, so I nixed the underfloor box idea. I would be interested in seeing a write-up from somebody who has done it though to gauge how difficult it is to do. I suspect if Sportsmobile installs an underfloor box, they have to cut through all this.
Attached Thumbnails
694C6B90-6FAC-452B-B56C-DCEDBDB68B3C.jpg   490BECE6-9BC5-4E72-9840-9E341A58DA17.jpg  
Old 09-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #57

You cut through similar stuff on the Ford vans too..........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #58

I can build you a box if you provide me with the dimensions that you need it to be. Looking at a 2-3 week Lead time right now.

PM me with details and I’ll forward you a quote for the job.

Thanks,

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Hi
I’m
Interested I getting a box for a 2009 Chevy Express van. Do you have that van box figured out yet?

If not I can provide you with dimensions

Thanks
Old 09-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #59

Looks like the express tire carrier is welded rather than riveted to the frame rails like E series vans. As long as you have a receiver hitch, it’s been generally agreed that any structural integrity is maintained. Many time a box can be sized to keep the front portion of the carrier intact if that is a major concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKiteGuy View Post
I went under my Chevy Express van and noticed some metal cross members attached to the frame that hold the spare tire mechanism up. I did not feel like cutting through all this, so I nixed the underfloor box idea. I would be interested in seeing a write-up from somebody who has done it though to gauge how difficult it is to do. I suspect if Sportsmobile installs an underfloor box, they have to cut through all this.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #60

Hi Northleftcoast. I need one for 12 E350 RB.
Shift96 is offline   Reply With Quote