Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

Garage
Any Pics of a Z-Bracket Install on a Thule Awning?

I’m about to reinstall my Thule awning on Ray’s Z-Brackets. (I had it installed on my Yakima rack pre-CCV poptop.). Before I start wrestling with it, thought I’d cast about to see if anyone has pics or video on their install. A cursory look at the back of the Thule tells me it’s different from the Fiamma.

If nobody has Thule pics, I sure would appreciate some closeups of the back side of your Fiamma install on the brackets. That way, at least I have some idea how it’s supposed to fit. Most pics are from the front or side. Thanks much!

Old 02-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #2

How do you like the Thule awning?
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 PM   #3

Garage
Morie: The Thule awning is great. In general, I think it’s quite similar to the Fiamma, except for the mounting area on the back. I went for the Thule because there was an OEM mount available for my Yakima bars. Now that I have a poptop, I’m going to have to do something a bit different on the reinstall.

I made a video on the install. Here’s a link, if you’re interested:

https://youtu.be/O9zV44Vm82s
Old 02-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

Garage
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post267843
that's as close-up as i can get while at work.
the camera lens distorts the picture a bit.
the brackets were set to minus 1-degree from vertical.
the front and rear brackets sit in a recess on the back+top of the fiamma and then thru holes are drilled in the awning and bracket for solid mounting (drivers side has two bolts...passenger side has one bolt per bracket).

Old 02-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
Thanks Chris. I read your post recently. It’s the best one I can find on here. If you have a chance to get a close-up for not too much trouble, I’d sure appreciate it.

I took a closer look yesterday at the back of the Thule. I’m likely best off using the T-bolt slots it has and hoping those bolts are long enough to fit the Z-brackets. And that the angle is correct, etc. Here’s a photo of it on my Yakima round bars if anybody has any input:
Attached Thumbnails
47490915-D224-4768-A369-317C8C4FCD17.jpg  
Old 02-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #6

Garage
Wanted to offer some advice on installing ray's brackets >>> don't overtighten the stainless button head bolt.
If you do, the top of the bracket will start moving away from the van because the 'z' piece that installs in the gutter will start pushing out on the vertical bracket.
I installed all of my stainless bolts to 90-95 in-lbs and bent the brackets in a vice to achieve a 1-degree angle from vertical.

With the plate mount attaching the bracket to the body, the load is spread over a much greater area without sacrificing sheet metal integrity with a hole.

Here are stock fiamma brackets for mounting to a vertical surface - the little lip that is a stepped offset rests in the recess at the top of the awning and the other end supports the bottom of the awning. the large flat surface sits flush with the back of the awning.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #7

Garage
Chris, thanks so much for taking those photos. It’s going to help a lot. I hope to test fit the z-brackets to the Thule within the next week. Fingers crossed!

Tags
thule, z-bracket