Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #111

Will there be any more available? I'd like to try and mount my Foxwing with them.

Bearfoot Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #112

I am also in for a set if another round happens. Will be ordering a CVT awning soon.
pfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #113

I am out of brackets right now. I will likely do another run in February. Minimum order is 20 sets and I hate putting out that many $$ without having most of them pre-sold. If we can get this up to 10 to 12 pre sold, I will get them done sooner.

Thanks! Ray
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #114

Garage
Question for Ray and others

Hey Ray, thanks for doing this stuff. We're lucky to have you!

My question, after reading every single post on here about this:

I don't yet have an awning, a rack or a pop top, all of which are likely in my future. Have looked at the pics of awnings on your brackets and wondering:

- Is there a certain awning I should buy to ensure it and your brackets would fit with:

A) a Yakima rack for now

B) an Aluminess rack in the future (maybe gutter fitted if I decide not to go with a pop top

C) a CCV pop top in the future

I've seen folks attaching their awnings to their Aluminess racks. Is that what I have to plan for?

Thanks for helping me out with this. Take your time, I know you're busy.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #115

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hey Ray, thanks for doing this stuff. We're lucky to have you!

My question, after reading every single post on here about this:

I don't yet have an awning, a rack or a pop top, all of which are likely in my future. Have looked at the pics of awnings on your brackets and wondering:

- Is there a certain awning I should buy to ensure it and your brackets would fit with:

A) a Yakima rack for now

B) an Aluminess rack in the future (maybe gutter fitted if I decide not to go with a pop top

I've seen folks attaching their awnings to their Aluminess racks. Is that what I have to plan for?

Thanks for helping me out with this. Take your time, I know you're busy.
So, found an answer to the Yakima rack part of my question (at least with regard to an ARB awning. Anybody have an answer for the Fiamma, or is it the same no matter which awning?) in a post on racks by RandallDee:

"I just have a home built interior without a pop top so I use gutter mount racks. I have a set of Yakima gutter mounts but found out after I installed my ARB awning with the 1der group buy bracket mounts that they do not fit behind the awning. Not a problem if you have the bars mounted outside of either end. But if you need to mount them directly behind the awning then the Thule mounts will work if you replace the knob and bolt with a nut/bolt set up. And even then, they just barely fit but will work."

Old 10-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #116

Hi Otter, sorry for the delay:

re: A) a Yakima rack for now:
For many years before having a pop top we had Thule gutter mount racks. I fabbed up some L brackets (Used Simpson Strong Tie pcs from HD) for our Fiamma and had the awning hanging below the cross bar. It just cleared the side barn doors with the standard height towers. With the High Foot 387 towers it was no issue at at all. Worked great. There is really no need for the Z Awning Brackets if you do not have a pop top. In fact they would make mounting more difficult because of interference with the tower knobs. The primary function of the Z Brackets is to have the awning remain at a reasonable height when the pop top is raised. This is true for both Fiamma and ARB style awnings.

Same as A above. I would fab brackets to mount the awning off of teh Aluminess roof rack.

This is where the Z Awning Brackets are needed and really shine. You do not want the awning attached to the side of the pop top for a number of reasons, but primariy you dod not want the awning starting from 11 feet up in the air. The Z Brackets provide a solid mounting for either the Fiamma or ARB style awnings and keeps the overall profile below the pop top. You also do not want to drill holes in the side of your van when you do not have to.

The awning brackets have a bend at the top of the front and rear brackets to accommodate the Fiamma / Colorado Carefree style awnings. Use of awnings up to the 10ft size is okay. The 12 ft is too long. The brackets can also be used for the ARB/CVT style bag awnings. Typically you only need to use the front and rear most brackets since these awnings are lighter and they also mount to the face of the brackets using the awnings T bolts in the rear of the extrusion. It is far easier to line up two small holes vs. three small holes across eight feet. You can use all three if you desire, but two brackest do the job for the lighter awnings. Just save the third bracket for when you upgrade to the Fiamma.

Let me know if any other questions. Thanks!

Ray
Old 10-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #117

Garage
Ray, thanks for this really useful explanation. Now I understand the setup for all of these components. I put together my parts this weekend for the Yakima rack for now. When I get my awning, I'll come back for L-bracket advice if a direction isn't apparent.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #118

I scared up four more sets of awning brackets yesterday! But that is it until the next run, next year.

So, Bearfoot Drifter and pfreeman have first dibs .
Old 10-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #119

From everything I've seen here it looks like brackets for the Fiamma awning (looking to get the 10 ft. 45S model) are going to work on our 2013 EB E350, but I'm not sure. The van has the SMB penthouse, and comments in this thread seem to focus on CCV tops. The rain gutter depth is 1/8 inch and distance from the outside edge of the penthouse to the inside edge of the rain gutter is a tight 3/8 inch. Two questions: 1) Is there enough clearance between penthouse and gutter for the brackets, and 2) Is the 1/8 inch height of the gutter edge substantial enough to hang a cantilevered 50 lb. weight onto? I don't know if the rain gutter shape has been changed over the years by Ford to where the brackets might work for some years but not others.

Thanks!
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #120

Jack K, Yes, and yes.

Something like 97% of around 250 bracket sets are on SMB Penthouse rigs.

Thanks!