Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #141

Payment sent for brackets and swivel base [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lokoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
1der-this my situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I'm not trying to take anything away from 1Ider's brackets. They are great and well made, but I can tell you from my own experience that the awning brackets will not work with those Yakima gutter mounts. The gutter mounts stick out too far. I had to switch to Thule mounts and bars and then replace the knob hardware on the Thule mounts with nut/bolt hardware and it still just barely works.

After buying the brackets, and then a new Thule system it had occurred to me that a more economical way to go would have been to just buy one of the many different sets of ladder racks that have the flat plate on the ends. They look like they could easily be drilled out to mount the awning to.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #143

Hi I have a 2002 e250 with a pleasureway "traverse" pop top. Do you have brackets that will fit my van??
Thanks
Fishingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #144

Update for a progress check perhaps? Mid January shipping?
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #145

Awning Z-Brackets - Next Batch

I was able to install the Z brackets and awning last weekend. I actually had the smb factory awning mounts on the van and was able to use BOTH the rain gutter and factory mounts together. I just drilled a couple holes in the bottom of each z bracket and bolted them to the van. Glad I was able to do that as I have a 12' awning and it may have been too heavy to use with just the gutter clamps. Turned out nice and secure. Thanks to Ray (1der) for all his help and advice. This is my first smb and Ray was kind enough to walk my wife and I through some of electrical systems.
I ended up ordering a few more finishing washers and caps from Ray to cover up the factory mounts and the z brackets mounts. Waiting for the last 4 caps to arrive. Anyways here are the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lokoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #146

All awning sets are on the way, should arrive in the next couple of days 😊
Old 01-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #147

I received my brackets yesterday and did a quick test-fit today (it wasn't raining ). It looks like they should work fine ... Thanks Ray! When I install the Fiamma, I'm guessing that I should install the front & rear brackets, then adjust the middle bracket (if needed) until they all line up, and then install the middle bracket ... do you agree?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
All awning sets are on the way, sh
ould arrive in the next couple of days 😊
Thanks Ray! Mine came yesterday.

I haven't opened the box but my ARB awning is on the way now. Looking forward to putting it on.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoline2000 View Post
I received my brackets yesterday and did a quick test-fit today (it wasn't raining ). It looks like they should work fine ... Thanks Ray! When I install the Fiamma, I'm guessing that I should install the front & rear brackets, then adjust the middle bracket (if needed) until they all line up, and then install the middle bracket ... do you agree?
Best way I have found to do these for a 10 ft awning is:

First, Raise your pop top, if installing on a pop top van;

1. Get three 1/4-20 non locking nuts to use while test fitting. This saves the Ny-Lock nuts for final install.
2. Temporarily install the front bracket where it sits centered on the B Pillar and does not interfere with the door seals.
3. Pull a tape back 8 ft from the forward edge of the front bracket. This locates the rear edge of the rear bracket. Temporarily install the rear bracket.
4. Middle bracket locates about 1/2" or so behind the side doors opening.
5. With brackets secured on the gutter, hang the Fiamma awning on the brackets, it will hang on the front and rear bracket tabs.
6. Awning should extend about a foot in front of the front bracket to provide protection for the side door.
7. Match drill a small hole through both the awning back plate and each of the three awning brackets. Make sure to clean up any drill shavings since the brackets are steel and these shavings will rust. Attach a nut and screw/bolt which is usually supplied with the awning. This secures the awning to the brackets.
8. Now you can, one by one, replace the 1/4-20 non lock nuts with the button washers and the Ny-Locks provided with the brackets. Pop the caps on.

Make sure to tighten the clamping bolts and nuts securely AND check them after a couple of hundred miles and again after about 1,000 miles. Retighten if needed.

If you want to make a very cool improvement to the awning install - add a piece of 1/8" ABS as a rain guard over the doors to close off the gap between the awning and the van roof. Rallypanam and I have done this and it is excellent since using the awning when it is raining is one of the reasons to have an awning! And the doors are usually open.

Start with a piece of ABS about 9" tall and 8 ft long. TAP Plastics will cut this for you if you buy the plastic from them. The top of the plastic piece goes into the same groove on the back of the awning as the awning brackets tab. This creates a very effective flashing. Notch the plastic around the brackets. You will have to scribe the bottom of the plastic to match the arced contour of the gutter. IF you want to be really fancy, add a bulb seal to the bottom that rests in the gutter. put a couple of small screws, washers and nuts her and there to hold it all in place. Done right and this allows the doors to be open with no drips or rain coming in through the gap.

Closest pic I have right now, it is the filler on the back side of the awning:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4235.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	14760
Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
Thanks Ray! Mine came yesterday.

I haven't opened the box but my ARB awning is on the way now. Looking forward to putting it on.
Brian - With the ARB, just use the front and rear brackets. The T Bolts ride in the back of the awning tracks. Put the brackets up temporarily and have someone hold the awning up so it looks right and clears the doors. Mark the brackets at the bottom of the awning back plate. Measure up and drill the holes in the proper locations on the brackets. Secure with the nuts for the T Bolts and then replace the temporary nuts with the washers and Ny -locks.