Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #71

Garage
Re: Econoline Swivel Seat Bases - Who wants them??

I got a chance to install these bases last night in two different vans and I am impressed. The fit and finish is great and the install is a breeze. Per 1der's installation advice, I removed a bit of the padding beneath the carpet to allow the base plate to sit closer to the floor pan to get the bolts/nuts started (photo shows padding still attached). The front two bolts are a T55 torx and the rears are an 18mm hex. The four nuts that secure the slider track mechanism to the seat base use a 15mm hex.

It also works best to remove the connector on the vehicle side, run the harness through the hole in the front of the seat base, then re-pin the connector. This keeps the harness in good shape as the seat swivels and doesn't get caught up on any of the mechanisms. When disassembling the connector, simply remove the rectangle cap on the wire side and the silicone weather seal. Slip a small awl or pick through the hole in the center to push out the red plastic securing plate. Once the plate is out, the two small latches visible from the connector side can be gently lifted and the pins can be removed. Of course it is always prudent to take a quick photo of the wire color orientation to be sure the connector works as it should. Before installing the swivel base to the floor mounts, re-route the vehicle side of the harness to the rear of the mount and make a small incision to pull the plug through the carpet/vinyl. The original location of the harness in the carpet is occupied by the flat swivel base making the change necessary.

This is for general instruction only and may not be universal for all model years. I am not affiliated with the manufacturer, but these are really well made and worth every penny!

Thanks Ray!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
2015-10-13 08.33.20.jpg   2015-10-13 08.32.57.jpg  

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #72

Can't wait to get mine!
Petrolburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #73

Thanks again Ray, it was good meeting you. I don't know who was more impressed by your van, me, or my kids!

These seat swivels will go a long ways towards making my "moto-van" more useful as a camper van.

A little sidebar: what are you using for headlights? Not only did yours look incredibly bright, they looked like they had a good/proper beam cutoff which has always been one of my peeves with aftermarket lighting.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #74

Jay,

Great meeting you and your kids as well!

I have been so busy getting seat bases boxed up and on their way, I have not had a chance to do any decent recaps. but at least I can write up a little bit:

re: Lights - The lights you saw are redoval's (Scott) projector lights! THEY ARE AWESOME LIGHTS! The aiming I did on a dark street near my brother's house. I have to get in front of a wall and dial them in a bit more. Drove 400 miles up 101 with them and never had anyone flash me, the cars in front of me were not getting "lit-up" and the cars in the lane just in front and beside me were not getting blasted either. For me, I could see the road comfortably well up in front.

I have not had a chance to wire the LED strip or Halo feature. Looking forward to that and will post night time shots on Scotts Projector thread

I highly recommend these lights from Scott!! And if you have them and have not installed them, it will be one of those "Why did I wait so long" moments!

These lights are planned for the Aluminess Bumper lights. They are a High / Low / DRL style. More on that later!
Attached Thumbnails
7 In Bumper lts.jpg   RedOval Projector Lights.JPG  
Old 10-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #75

Alrighty!! All the orders are packed up and already on their way yesterday or will be on their way in about an hour!! Thank you very much!

So, I have ONE MORE Passenger Base that I bought as a" just in case". It is available, so let me know if anyone wants it.

And please - Ask if any questions when you receive them. Redoval was nice enough to post some install pics and instructions a few posts ago. But if you need any tips just ask.

Please post some pics of your installs

Lastly, get out there and enjoy the new found spaciousness the swivel provides

Cheers!!

Ray
Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #76

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Alrighty!! All the orders are packed up and already on their way yesterday or will be on their way in about an hour!! Thank you very much!

So, I have ONE MORE Passenger Base that I bought as a" just in case". It is available, so let me know if anyone wants it.

And please - Ask if any questions when you receive them. Redoval was nice enough to post some install pics and instructions a few posts ago. But if you need any tips just ask.

Please post some pics of your installs

Lastly, get out there and enjoy the new found spaciousness the swivel provides

Cheers!!

Ray

I also have one more driver's side swivel I'd like to move on as well. Does not work with the factory power leather seat in my van. Contact either me or Ray for info.

Scott
Old 10-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #77
Site Team

Quote:
These lights are planned for the Aluminess Bumper lights. They are a High / Low / DRL style. More on that later!
JW Speaker LED headlights?

Herb
Old 10-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
JW Speaker LED headlights?

Herb
Hi Herb! No, JW = mucho dinero, yo no tengo. These are private labeled China units. Got them at TuffStuff / truckandwinch.com in Santa Ana, CA. Fit in the 7 in diam holes in the bumper. They throw a nice flat beam with Hi/Lo/DRL feature. I have to fab up a mounting bracket to tie into the four threaded holes in the back. Antsy to get that done but will not rush it. I will start my "real" build thread soon and will detail there.

If anyone has questions about these, let me know. I did talk to them about a group buy, they seemed receptive!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #79

Garage

Quote:
no, thank you very much ray! im sure this was a ton of work with no compensation. i really appreciate you taking the time to help us out with this. where im at its hard to get in on deals for heavy pita items AND have people willing to ship. so again, , i really appreciate your efforts in helping this potatohead

...as i was typing this out i got a call from a buddy saying that there was two big boxes that just showed up for me at the shop. i was gonna ask if you could provide tracking info, but apparently i know when they are going to arrive!

was planning on a quick weekend trip as im off work in 2 hours, but now it looks like i might try and get these in prior. can anyone tell me how long am i realistically looking at for install?

thanks also to scott for the quick writeup. that definitely helps a bunch.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #80

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
Quote:
no, thank you very much ray! im sure this was a ton of work with no compensation. i really appreciate you taking the time to help us out with this. where im at its hard to get in on deals for heavy pita items AND have people willing to ship. so again, , i really appreciate your efforts in helping this potatohead

...as i was typing this out i got a call from a buddy saying that there was two big boxes that just showed up for me at the shop. i was gonna ask if you could provide tracking info, but apparently i know when they are going to arrive!

was planning on a quick weekend trip as im off work in 2 hours, but now it looks like i might try and get these in prior. can anyone tell me how long am i realistically looking at for install?

thanks also to scott for the quick writeup. that definitely helps a bunch.
Shenrie,

I installed three seat bases in about 2 hours, not bad at all. They fit great and didn't require any mods to the hole locations. The only actual change I made was removing the padding from beneath the carpet so they would sit closer to the floor. I did have to put weight on the base to get the bolts started, but no biggie.

Scott