Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Great question - The passenger side has no weight sensor. There are two wires and they run to the seat belt receiver that has a the pre-tensioner integrated into it. The driver side has a weight sensor and pretensioner and thus four wires.

Best approach for the non-single red bar connector - with the key out of the ignition, mark the wires on the pigtail from the seat so they can be reconnected in the same orientation. Individually cut the wires and attach a male / female butt connector on the wire ends. Have the male / female connectors affixed so they are opposite on the wires so they cannot be accidently reversed. Pass the wires from the seat through the hole and make your connections below the upper plate level.

We cover this and more in this video link:

https://www.blingmyrig.com/pages/swi...e-installation
Thanks 1der! I watched the video in its entirety a couple nights ago to get ready for the install.

I've never seen a pre-tensioner built into the receiver of a seat belt before. When I read the word "pre-tensioner," this is what comes to mind. Since the pre-tensioner needs to cause the seat belt to retract, wouldn't it be located where the seat belt "spool" is located? I guess I'm not sure how the receiver itself would act as a pretensioner.

If the wires lead to the receiver, perhaps it's the sensor that detects whether or not the seat belt buckle is inserted?

Once again, doesn't really affect the install. Mostly just curious about their function and figured the swivel install would be the most common reason other folks would be wondering about the purpose of the connectors.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #652

In the case of the Econoline the pre-tensioning is done at the seat belt latch point. In the picture of the seat belt latch you will see a stranded cable that that runs between the tensioner and the latch. In an accident, the airbag system triggers a charge (via the two wires) that instantly yanks the cable and thus the latch, and via the seat belt this causes the seat belt retractor (your picture) to lock up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger seat Pretensionier 2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	44157
Old 06-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
In the case of the Econoline the pre-tensioning is done at the seat belt latch point. In the picture of the seat belt latch you will see a stranded cable that that runs between the tensioner and the latch. In an accident, the airbag system triggers a charge (via the two wires) that instantly yanks the cable and thus the latch, and via the seat belt this causes the seat belt retractor (your picture) to lock up.

Attachment 44157
Awesome, so much to learn on this forum!
Old 06-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #654

Finished the passenger seat swivel install yesterday. Overall very smooth process. Thanks 1der for the detailed instructions and supplying the quality swivel!

As 1der already mentioned, the newer style connector is not easy to disassemble. Rather than keeping the original connector and adding bullet connectors, I just cutout the original connector entirely. Also managed to pull out one of the rear studs that go into the van floor.

More details here if you are interested.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #655

Thank you

Thank you for the great base and detailed instructions. We had it sitting in the box for about two months, but finally had a chance to install today and everything was as described.
Cmartaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:22 PM   #656

Just a bump - I have a few swivel bases a couple of Driver and 3 Passengers left for the next batch shipping in about a week.

Easy ordering : https://www.blingmyrig.com/collections/all-toys-bling

Please let me know if any questions. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2023, 07:37 AM   #657

Hi Ray,
I think I asked previously, I have a 1996 van. On your site it says the swivel seats will not work. Is there some fabrication that I can do or remounting that can be done to install them? I was thinking of ordering scheel Mann seats and just wanted a swiveling passenger seat base…

Thanks!
thescottgivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescottgivens View Post
Hi Ray,
I think I asked previously, I have a 1996 van. On your site it says the swivel seats will not work. Is there some fabrication that I can do or remounting that can be done to install them? I was thinking of ordering scheel Mann seats and just wanted a swiveling passenger seat base…

Thanks!
Thxs for the question.

Note: The swivel bases were designed and crash tested gif 1997 and newer vans. Any install in other than that platform will be outside of the design and testing parameters.

So, here is what you are facing: a 1996 and prior used a very different seat AND seat belt latch system. You will have to work around this wether you go stock or the really nice Scheel Mann seats and adapter plates

First - the bolt pattern of the seat pedestal (stock seat mounts to this) to floor is different than 1997 and up. For 1996 van retrofit one would have to find the exact locations of a 1997 seat mount relative to the B Pillar and transfer those holes to the 1996 van floor. This will register the swivel base mounting location
exactly where it needs to be to be able to swivel and clear the door armrest and engine hatch/doghouse. The new mounting holes in the floor would have to be strongly reinforced for safety /crash loads.

Second - the 1996 van seat belt latch is mounted to the floor in board of the seat. The 1997 seat belt latch is mounted to the seat. Very different how load is being handled. Also, the pyro seat belt cinching system is incorporated into the 1997 seat belt latch unit. The SM seats utilize the stock 1997&up seat belt retractors. These will have to be adapted to the 1996. This will likely require adapting the B pillar mounted belt retractor. Why? Because the latch / retractor fittings /mechanisms are not the same from year to year from 1997 on. So, if getting the seat belt units at a yard it would be best to get that all as a complete unit.

I have no idea how the seat belt / crash retraction system works on a 1996 or if even has this feature.. This would have to be worked out in the seat swap.

Essentially, acquiring a 1997+ set of seats w seat belt latch, pedestals and B Pillar matching seat belt retractors would give you a jump on the swap. Getting the 1997+ floor mounting hole locations (passenger and driver are different) would give you the proper location.

If going directly to the SM seats then there might be a slightly different path, I would have to think about that more.

PM me your ph number or email me via BlingMyRig.com contact page and we can discuss further. If you are up for the swap and effort involved I am happy to help with advice.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:10 PM   #659

I PM'ed Scott to offer him the swivel base I salvaged last year from a '92. I've already gotten tired of stepping over it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4417.jpg  
Kendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:32 PM   #660

cool. If he is still considering the Scheel Mann seats there needs to be a bit more due diligence for compatibility.