Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #121

Garage
Re: Ford E-Series Van HID Projector Retrofit lights

arctictraveller,

Here is a link to TRS that also sells this part. I get them through a vendor direct in China, but this is as good of a retail description as I have seen. The bulbs remain the same for all the kits I have sold since they are actually fairly reliable on their own. The ballasts are the brains of the operation and make the most difference for the final product. I am running the regular bulbs and Fast Bright ballasts on my Ranger and my wife's Honda CR-V with great results.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeo ... gGy9peYEnk

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
[quote Recognizing previous reliability issues, I made the switch for the regular kit to come standard with a set of the Fast Bright 55w ballasts that my supplier backs in the event of failures. Thanks

So I assume since I bought the kit way back in Feb, I have the older less reliable parts. I definately want to upgrade. Can you supply the new bulb / ballast kit part number so I can look at it? Thanks for the quick response........... .

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #122

Garage

mkiracer,

I agree, the FX-R projectors do appear to have a wider and likely more defined cutoff, but the additional 2-4+ hours worth of labor makes the upgrade a tough sell. Another difficulty is needing the intended vehicle to be present to make sure the projectors are mounted and aligned correctly before final bonding. This seems reasonable for the DIYer or enthusiast on a one time basis, but not too realistic unless we all have stock vehicles that are very close in manufacturing tolerances. With that said, I will still build up a set for my van eventually to see for myself.

The led housings and retrofits are surely the wave of the future. Morimoto is set to release their version of the bi-led retrofit and it will be very interesting to see the output and power consumption differences compared to the standard MH1 setup. With large OEM companies pushing the LED trend, it won't be long until LED retrofits are the norm.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
I haven't seen the difference in person. From what everyone says (on the forums) the beam pattern on the FX-R is wider. When I did the retro on my Tacoma, I just went with their standard kit and it was wide and bright enough for me. I could see where a wider beam pattern would be beneficial to some but it wasn't worth the extra work and customization for me to do.

It looks like TRS sells led housings from new cars that have high/low/running lights. That would be pretty cool to see modded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL

mkiracer,
different subject.....have you seen the MH1 and FX-R outputs in person side by side? I am interested to see if the FX-R is really worth the additional hours of labor in terms of output and beam pattern. I am very familiar with what TRS says they will do, but experience is sometimes different. Thanks

Old 09-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #123

Garage

Wrapped up some 2003 F150 lights for a local client. While they are definitely not SMB related, they show the flexibility of these projector retrofits. They came out really nice and clean.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Russell Sept15.jpg  
Old 10-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #124

Garage

Wrapped up this super clean set of lights featuring the high output Superflux led running light upgrade. They are very bright!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
2015-10-02 16.51.13.jpg   2015-10-02 16.47.53.jpg  
Old 10-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #125

Garage

I decided to update my personal lights with a set of the premium Apollo 1 shrouds that have Morimoto 110mm rear mounted halos for an additional daytime running light source. This upgrade is available for all the headlights sets.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
2015-10-02 16.54.42.jpg   2015-10-02 16.56.44.jpg   2015-10-02 19.15.14.jpg  
Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #126

im the one that had continuous problems with scotts light install. I found a guy who finally took care of my problem. he didn't want want to bad mouth scotts lighth but told me a comparison of buying a 6 year old car and still using the old parts and not up grading to todays standards. my lights that scott installed had moisture in the lenses every morning. they cleared up as the temperature rose. b carefull what u buy from scott.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #127

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
im the one that had continuous problems with scotts light install. I found a guy who finally took care of my problem. he didn't want want to bad mouth scotts lighth but told me a comparison of buying a 6 year old car and still using the old parts and not up grading to todays standards. my lights that scott installed had moisture in the lenses every morning. they cleared up as the temperature rose. b carefull what u buy from scott.
I think you need to be more specific... What was the problem he found and how did he fix it?

I'm all for people posting up good reviews right alongside with the poor reviews because it educates prospective buyers and gives and accurate perspective of the product. BUT I believe you need to post reasons and details relating to the product if you're going to trash talk someone's merchandise.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #128

Garage

More lights shipping out tomorrow. Simple and clean for a PNW customer.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
2015-10-05 19.32.34.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #129
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
ERT01 replied very eloquently to this contribution and I couldn't agree more with his thoughts. That's not necessarily bashing Berns378 or saying Scott is infallible however when one man's products are turned over to someone else that seems to be the start of other issues.

While I've never dealt directly with Scott it doesn't seem he's above taking care of customer concerns nor has anyone else expressed such dissatisfaction. Not saying there's no issues with his lighting systems, just saying he strikes me as the kinda guy to take care of it as best he can.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #130

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Quote:
ERT01 replied very eloquently to this contribution and I couldn't agree more with his thoughts. That's not necessarily bashing Berns378 or saying Scott is infallible however when one man's products are turned over to someone else that seems to be the start of other issues.

While I've never dealt directly with Scott it doesn't seem he's above taking care of customer concerns nor has anyone else expressed such dissatisfaction. Not saying there's no issues with his lighting systems, just saying he strikes me as the kinda guy to take care of it as best he can.
JWA,

Thanks for the words. I manage the engineering Failure Analysis for a very large OEM automotive company and understand very clearly the process of elimination to find the root cause. We made steps in determining this on Steve's van, but stopped progress and started arguing just before finding the answer. I am 100% for making the product better and I certainly have my faults, but I think this example was a bit out of proportion in the big picture. I have spoken with many other customers and they have expressed positive opinions about the kit.

Scott